Traveling to Europe - Laptop vs External 80 GB Hard drive

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by zxcvbnm2bg, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Paul J Gans, Mar 20, 2006

  2. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Thanks for the information.
    Sure. That's why I never intended to take a laptop.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Paul,

    Ours has survived several trips as hand luggage, including my wife's trip
    to Antarctica. It's a standard 2.5-inch "portable" disk drive, and drive
    isn't normally running while travelling. I vae even read about people
    changing the hard drive themselves.

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Paul J Gans wrote:
    []
    ... as was my wife's trip to Antarctica! She took:

    - two cameras based on different memory card and battery technology

    - two of each battery charger types, plus mains leads

    - enough memory cards for the whole trip

    - the Epson P-2000 (as a backup, and a shared display device)

    Of course, because she had all that redundancy, nothing failed. Indeed,
    she was able to lend someone a mains lead for a charger.

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 20, 2006
  5. zxcvbnm2bg

    mrsgator88 Guest

    I'm coming late to this thread, but, there's probably a number of internet
    cafe's nearby in those places. Maybe visit one once a week to upload your
    photos to a web photo service.

    SteveO

    mrsgator88, Mar 20, 2006
  6. zxcvbnm2bg

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Paul J Gans writes ...
    All of us are in pretty much the same situation ... most people I know
    bring at least two backups on long trips where you're shooting
    "irreplaceable photoso" so you have some redundancy. Bringing just one
    storage device is a bit of a risk no matter how reliable it might be
    since all of them will fail (or be stolen or be dunked) at some point.
    My wife keeps one disk and I keep a second so we have them in separate
    places.

    Bill Hilton, Mar 20, 2006
  7. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Besides hard drive failures, you also have to worry about losing the
    gadget.

    I think your best bet is to get a portable CD or DVD burner instead of
    a hard drive gizmo. Then, every few days, burn cd's or dvd's of your
    pictures and mail a disc home. In the worst case scenario where you
    lose all your luggage and equipment, your pictures are still waiting
    for you when you get back.

    Paul Rubin, Mar 20, 2006
  8. zxcvbnm2bg

    Arthur Small Guest

    I use a PD70X and a Digital Album as a back up. Been to Eastern & Western
    Europe, Russia & China. Images on both always have been safe.
    www.alldigital.fotopic.net

    Arthur Small, Mar 20, 2006
  9. Redundancy should be your watchword, then.

    Take enough flash cards to hold all of the pictures you expect to take.
    If you're thinking a thousand or so shots, take 3 or 4 1 gig cards,
    which should give plenty of room.

    Take a hard-drive based storage object. An iPod, a laptop, one of those
    Epson storage thingies, whatever. Download from the card to the drive
    whenever you have a chance (every night, perhaps), but don't delete the
    files on the card.

    Stop in an internet cafe or a copy shop and copy pictures from the drive
    to CD-Rs. Do this every 500 or so megabytes. Mail the CDs back to your
    home.

    That way, there are three copies of every photo, which means that any
    single disaster doesn't means the loss of a picture.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Mar 20, 2006
  10. zxcvbnm2bg

    mrsgator88 Guest

    Sorry, that just makes me laugh. Paranoia of the new millenium. I've been
    to Europe and the Middle East four times with film cameras, never had a
    problem. The film even made it through the X-Ray machines unaffected. Now
    with virtually infallable cards, so small you can keep them in your pocket
    at all times, we need triple backups.

    SteveO

    mrsgator88, Mar 20, 2006
  11. Well, he essentially said he was paranoid. At least I didn't recommend
    taking multiple cameras.

    I think theft is a more likely failure mode then something actually
    breaking. X-Rays aren't very high up on the threat list.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Mar 20, 2006
  12. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Thanks. I've read up on it. Now all I have to do is to
    decide if $500 would be better spent on this or on gigabytes
    of CF cards...

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 21, 2006
  13. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul J Gans Guest

    I'll bet she loved the trip!

    She's one up on me. I'm going for the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.
    Lugging it and everything else will be a bit of a problem but I'll
    certainly have a suitable backpack.

    Funds for the rest of the kit are a bit lacking, hence the
    pondering... But I've got a second camera as well, also
    different memory cards and battery technology.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 21, 2006
  14. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Yeah. I'd love to do that. As I've said in a very recent post,
    cash will be limited after basics are paid for.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 21, 2006
  15. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Hmm. Where I'm going there are no mailboxes.... :-(

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 21, 2006
  16. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Right. But there are no internet cafes or mailboxes where I'm
    going, but I'd love to do the first two. We'll see how it works
    out. I have a couple of months yet before I go.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 21, 2006
  17. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Then stash multiple CD's around different places in your belongings,
    leave them with people you know, or whatever.

    Paul Rubin, Mar 21, 2006
  18. zxcvbnm2bg

    Paul J Gans Guest

    I'll have a secondary camera. Already have it, so why not.
    When I travel with photo equipment, it never leaves my hand.

    But I'm used to travelling with Que Sera Sera...

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 21, 2006
  19. zxcvbnm2bg

    Colin Brace Guest

    Digital media isn't inherently more unstable than the old, but
    accidents happen; in particularly, you can be ripped off. A friend
    travelling in Argentina had his backpack stolen, losing both his
    digital camera *and* his laptop with photos. Of course, he would have
    been in the same boat had he been carrying 35mm film...

    Colin Brace, Mar 21, 2006
  20. Indeed, Paul, it was a great, if not cheap, experience. She took her
    Nikon 990 (quite old now, 3.2MP), and a 5MP Panasonic FZ20 (with 36-432mm
    equivalent f/2.8 IS Leica lens). Weight was important, and the cost,
    clumsiness and bulk of a DSLR would have ruled it out for her (and for
    me). She commented that there were indeed people with DSLRs and big
    lenses, but once you land the wildlife comes to you so very long zooms are
    not always required. The FZ20 is now about $400, I believe. Having these
    smaller cameras makes life easier, and you are not such an obvious target
    for muggings etc. (Mugging is not usually a problem, but heed local
    advice about which areas of some cities to avoid).

    Edit on the hoof, if you can. Can you borrow extra memory cards from
    friends?

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 21, 2006