    what subjects did you feel that need for?

    Roger
    photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 15, 2007

  2. A monk praying on the high cliff in Meteora ?

    carrera d'olbani, May 15, 2007

  3. I used a 300mm lens on a Pentax K10D to take pictures of the Acropolis from
    the surrounding hills in Athens. It wasn't long enough... (Potentially you
    can get splendid pictures of the Parthenon and Erectheon, rather than a
    wider shot of the top of the Acropolis.) I didn't take a tripod, but you
    can repeat the same feat at night when its floodlit to advantage... I left
    my FA 50 f1.4 at home that trip, taking "only" a DA 14 f2.8, Sigma 18-125
    and Tamron 70-300. (I certainly needed the DA 14 for shots on the Acropolis
    itself.) So I most regretted not having my FA* 400 f5.6 as well (or maybe
    instead of the 70-300).

    --Sophie

    Sophie Wilson, May 15, 2007
  4. Roger N. Clark

    Whatever lens you take I'd strongly recommend also
    taking a polarising filter.

    Chris

    Chris Gilbert, May 15, 2007

    gpaleo Guest

    Absolutely
    (from Greece)

    gpaleo, May 15, 2007
  6. Mules are available for hire in all the big towns.

    DP

    Dennis Pogson, May 15, 2007

    gpaleo Guest

    Seen "Borat" one too many times, maybe????????????

    gpaleo, May 15, 2007
  8. Sophie,

    Thank you. I'll have to rethink bringing a 300 f/4.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 15, 2007

    Pete D Guest

    I would actually be thinking that you do not have the wide end covered.

    Pete D, May 16, 2007
  10. I was wondering when someone would open that question.
    The key is pano head: I do mosaics which enables me to
    make any angular field of view, including greater than
    180 degrees. In most of my travels, I have never
    found a need for wide angle lenses, and usually never carry
    wider than 28mm on APS C digital sensors.
    Even without a pano head, one can do mosaics, even hand
    held. It works quite well and results in wonderfully
    large megapixel images.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 16, 2007

    THO Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <>
    wrote:
    Roger, I'm curious about your pano techniques -- are there any special
    techniques for shooting the scenes without the pano head? What software
    do you use for combining the images and which pano head when you use
    one? Thanks.

    THO, May 17, 2007
  12. Hi,
    The problem with hand held panos is parallax.
    So including very close subjects usually does not
    work. But for subjects further away, they work just
    fine. I use ptgui (ptgui.com, no affiliation)
    for the mosaics.

    Examples of hand-held mosaics:
    2x3 frames:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/gallerie...nyara.sunset.c01.17.2007.JZ3F7144-9b-800.html

    1x4 frames (this included moving animals):
    http://www.clarkvision.com/gallerie...bra.sunrise.c01.23.2007.JZ3F0891-6c-1200.html

    For large mosaics with a pano head, you can include close
    subjects, e.g.:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/large_mosaics
    I have a new computer and make large mosaics much faster than
    the above web page indicates (I need to update some of the
    timing). A few frame mosaic takes only a couple minutes.

    With a full Wimberly head and a large telephoto, the
    rotation axis is very close to that needed for pano
    work, and I've had no parallax issues with mosaics
    like these:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.africa/web/cheetah.c01.19.2007.JZ3F8148-9f-800.html

    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.africa/web/zebras.c01.23.2007.JZ3F0584-91d-800.html

    The problem with moving animals is sometimes they move
    enough that the mosaic won't converge, so I try and do it
    very fast.

    I use a home-made pano head.

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 17, 2007

    Alfred Molon Guest

    If you manage to rotate the camera around the nodal point, there won't
    be parallax error. That is difficult with an SLR, when you must frame
    through the viewfinder and the rotation axis passes through your neck,
    at a certain distance from the nodal point.

    When you instead use a camera with live preview on an LCD screen, you
    can rotate it around its nodal point and still be able to frame each
    shot.
    Obviously this handheld rotation around the nodal point will not be as
    accurate as if you used a panorama head, but if you are a bit skilled
    the parallax error will be minimal even with subjects near to you.

    One last comment, by choosing the layered output option, you can process
    the individual layers after the panorama generation and eliminate to a
    certain extent the parallax error.

    Nothing against panorama heads, but usually they are bulky and you must
    carry a tripod with you. Also it takes some time to set everything up.

    Alfred Molon, May 17, 2007
  14. I don't find this difficult at all. I find it rather simple to imagine
    a point in the lens and rotate the hand-held camera about that
    point. If you tried to include a close foreground object, you can
    see the parallax too, and try and minimize it.
    Accuracy is reduced because you obviously can't do this
    hand held as good as with a pano head.
    I see live preview as a detriment, because it is lower resolution than
    an optical viewfinder, is difficult to see in sunlight, and causes delays
    when I'm trying to do something fast.
    Like many things, it is a skill, but fairly easy learned in my
    experience.
    If you read the article I posted,
    http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/large_mosaics
    you would see I use layers. Including layers is a challenge,
    however, because file size get very large quite fast, larger than
    2 GBytes requiring photoshop's large file format.
    I usually carry a tripod, as a tripod is the single most important
    tool for getting sharp images in many conditions. For my pano head,
    it takes me less than a minute to set up.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 17, 2007

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Now imagine you are walking with your wife and 3 yr old daughter and
    suddenly see an interesting scene. Pulling out the tripod, mounting it,
    adding the pano head and setting everything up is going to take some
    time and effort, so this acts as a deterrent to take the shot.
    But if you just have to pull out the camera and take the panorama
    sequence, you are more likely to take the shot. Also, the more bulky
    your total equipment is, the less likely you are to take it with you on
    a casual trip. Lots of photo opportunities are unplanned.

    Alfred Molon, May 17, 2007

    Cynicor Guest

    You've just hit the nail on the head. Life is too short to take the wife
    and kids on vacation with you.

    Cynicor, May 17, 2007
  17. No, just because I have a tripod doesn't mean I HAVE to use it.
    And what prevents me from doing just that even if I am carrying a tripod?
    Just because one brings a tripod on vacation doesn't mean you have to
    take it with you on a casual walk, nor even if you did that you
    have to set it up in order to take a casual shot.
    Often when I am hiking/touring, I take many hand-held shots,
    even if I have a tripod on my backpack. But the advantage of
    a tripod when you do want to get that better image is simply
    indispensable.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 17, 2007

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Then how are you going to use a panorama head without a tripod?
    To avoid the parallax error when there are objects in the close range. I
    explained this already - when you have to frame through a viewfinder
    you'll need a panorama head to rotate the camera around the nodal point
    (although some people claim that they "walk around the camera").

    Alfred Molon, May 17, 2007

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Yes, freedom is what we need.

    Alfred Molon, May 17, 2007
  20. Oh come on! I already told you I have experience doing
    hand held mosaics and even posted links to some.
    At least if I carried a tripod and pano head I have the
    choice to do precision work when I want, or a simple
    casual mosaic hand held. Somehow this seems to make you
    want to defend your position of not carrying a tripod.
    I could care less.
    I already told you I have experience moving a DSLR about
    the lens nodal point hand held. I explained it took a
    little learning but wasn't that hard. Are you telling me I
    really can't do that? Where are YOUR hand held panos
    with close subjects that can only be done with "live"
    preview? ("Live" is a marketing trick for delayed; the
    only true live is the speed of light of an optical viewfinder).

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 18, 2007