    Tnx in advance

    thijsatthijsheslenfelddotcom
    www.thijsheslenfeld.com

    T.Heslenfeld, Feb 9, 2007

  2. The pages load fast, which I consider a principle rule. The navigation
    between galleries is obvious, but the picture selection is just a
    little less obvious. The rectangle is not obviously an indicator, and
    the photo that pops up on the main page of, say, "still" isn't the
    first image in the thumbnails. Clicking on an arrow is fairly obvious,
    but there's no clear indication of where in the line of thumbs I am,
    and although the rectangle tells me, I don't look at it, since I don't
    know what it's for. Hence, I don't know when I've looked at the large
    copies of all the thumbnails.

    Return visitors will figure it out, I'm sure, but it's better to have
    first-time visitors understand how to see all the images so that they
    become return visitors.

    Overall, a good site.

    Phil Stripling, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Hi Thijs,
    You have a great site with first rate pictures. I am very envious of
    the locations you have been to.
    You have certainly covered most of the world and had the right weather
    for the location.

    I thought that the main picture displayed was a bit on the small side
    and the gap between the menu bar and the picture was too big.
    Have you kept the picture small to minimise people copying it?

    My monitor is run at 1280 x 1024 which may influence my impression.

    Great site

    Cheers,
    Allan

    Allan Sheppard, Feb 9, 2007
  4. [snip]
    I like it. Used IE7 on WinXP Pro SP2.

    The use of the mouse-wheel to scroll through your vertical thumbnails
    seems to be broken. Some mods with JS, ActiveX or PHP I guess.

    For the horizontal navbar, "Home" starts with a capitalised letter
    but the other items start with a lowercase letter. I think that
    "home" might look better.

    I'm not sure that I like the dashed border on the "selected"
    thumbnail. How about a big think white/yellow/grey border? Not sure
    on the colour. All about experimentation!

    Would it help if your main photos were bigger? Although I can
    understand the concern of fitting them into a small browser window.

    Hope that helps. Great photos BTW!

    PS - I know my own site has issues!

    --
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Website : www.metalvortex.com
    Contact : www.metalvortex.com/contact/

    Brain! Brain! What is brain?!

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Feb 9, 2007
  5. T.Heslenfeld

    ray Guest

    ray, Feb 9, 2007
  6. T.Heslenfeld

    William4 Guest

    I think you have some really good images in the collection, but what is with
    the 'x-mas'. You've brought out my soap box now, do write it out in full;
    it is not that you are short of space for the caption. 'x' should really be
    a shortened 'trans' anyway and even the Americans don't attempt to hyphenate
    it.

    William4, Feb 10, 2007
  7. T.Heslenfeld

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Allan Sheppard exclaimed (10-Feb-07 4:53 AM):
    Agreed. I run my monitor at 1600x1200, and the thumbnails are so small
    I can't make out what many of them are.

    Otherwise, nice site, nice pics.

    jmc

    jmc, Feb 10, 2007
  8. T.Heslenfeld

    Mardon Guest

    I use 1920x1200 and I agree that the thumbs images are very small. I guess
    that's the 'price' of protecting images from theft. Great photos!

    Mardon, Feb 10, 2007
  9. Curious- What sizes can you set icons on a PC? On a Mac, it's currently
    limited to 128 x128.

    John McWilliams, Feb 10, 2007
  10. Main image size, yes. Thumbnail size, no.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 10, 2007
  11. What do allowable OS icon sizes have to do with thumbnails presented inside
    of a web browser?

    To answer your question wrt XP:

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 10, 2007
  12. John McWilliams, Feb 10, 2007
  13. So, is 48x really the limitation on the most recent Windows systems?

    John McWilliams, Feb 10, 2007
  14. T.Heslenfeld

    Matt Ion Guest

    I agree, very clean, appears to be fairly fast (although my internet is really
    slow today).
    Despite the highlight rectangle, clicking the thumbnail of the desired gallery
    IS a pretty obvious idea, and the title underneath is clickable as well. No
    confusion there.
    Subjectively, it's a cool idea to have it load a random shot from the gallery,
    rather than just the first one. It's good that the relevant thumbnail is
    highlighted, but...
    There's that. Plus if the selected thumb is off the bottom of the page, it
    leaves you wondering. Also, my first instinct was to click the arrow to scroll
    the thumb column... all it did was go to the next picture; scrolling with the
    browser scrollbar was not immediately obvious. I'd rather see multiple columns
    of thumbs that don't require scrolling at all, and/or more "categorization" of
    the pictures to keep the thumb lists smaller.
    Agreed!

    And some great shots!

    Matt Ion, Feb 10, 2007
  15. T.Heslenfeld

    J. Clarke Guest

    Through XP. There are third party utilities that allow XP to go as
    high as 128x128. Vista can go 256x256.

    In Vista the displayed icon size seems to be affected by the desktop
    DPI setting as well.

    Note that Internet Explorer 7 has a zoom that lets you enlarge or
    reduce the displayed size of the page your are viewing without
    altering formatting. IE7 is a free download for XP and included in
    Vista.

    J. Clarke, Feb 10, 2007