Transmitter power and optical loss budget

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Sam Wilson, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. Sam Wilson

    Sam Wilson Guest

    The specifications for various optical interfaces show a maximum and
    minimum transmitter power, differing by about 6-8dB. Are these supposed
    to represent variations in the actual transmitted power of new kit or
    are do they allow for degradation as the transmitter ages?

    What I'm trying to work out is whether a working link, whose nominal
    loss exceeds the minimum loss budget, would be likely to stop working as
    transmitters age.

    Background: I'm trying to work out whether devices such as the Allied
    Telesyn diplexers AT-WG103-13 or -15, which introduce up to 8dB loss,
    can be used to economise of fiber using technologies such as
    1000base-LX/LH GBICs, OC3 intermediate reach PA-POS-OC33SMI and
    10Gbase-LR Xenpaks. I know I can get a lot more loss budget by going to
    -ZX GBICs or -ER Xenpaks, but I'm looking at what I can do with existing
    kit.

    Thanks,

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Sep 26, 2006