    Are connectors different for SATA and EIDE?
    Thanks
    Xeno

    Xeno Chauvin, May 15, 2005

  2. Xeno Chauvin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    UDMA is the related to the electronic speed (as opposed to the physical
    speed - RPM) of the drives: the ultra DMA 33 protocol supports burst mode
    data transfer rates of twice the original IDE drives. UDMA 66 is twice that
    again, etc.

    EIDE (enhanced integrated device electronics) drives are parallel interface,
    and do not use the same connectors as SATA (serial drives).

    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2005

  3. Xeno Chauvin

    Demmpa Guest

    No,
    EIDE = E-IDE = Enhanced IDE
    UDMA = U-DMA = Ultra DMA
    I dont know
    Yes,
    S-ATA has only some pinns for data and power.
    E-IDE (P-ATA, Parallell ATA) has 40 pinns to data-transfer
    and 4 pinns to power.
    http://sophia.dtp.fmph.uniba.sk/pchardware/idescsi.html
    http://www.serialata.org/
    http://www.lsilogic.com/technologies/industry_standards/sata_ata_technology.html

    Demmpa, May 15, 2005
  4. Xeno Chauvin

    Mike Easter Guest

    All different - parallel vs serial
    Yes..

    PC Guide is one place that has a discussion of official terms vs old
    marketing terms

    EIDE is a marketing term by Western Digital. There are 6 UDMA modes
    0-5 corresponding to various ATA/ATAPI 4-6

    SATA is the new kid on the block - for serial ATA as opposed to the
    older ATA/IDE which is now called parallel ATA.

    There's also a table in the wiki for the various ata/s 1-7 vs udma vs
    eide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment

    Mike Easter, May 15, 2005
  5. Xeno Chauvin

    why? Guest

    It isn't.
    http://webopedia.com/TERM/S/Serial_ATA.html
    as EIDE drives advanced the UDMA speeds went 33/66/100 and 133
    http://www.pcmech.com/show/harddrive/78/3
    http://www.phildev.net/ata-modes.html

    Yes, very

    A variation on www.google.com , from http://images.google.com

    SATA Cable end
    http://eshop.macsales.com/images/Items/sata/9pinsatastraight.jpg

    SATA Drive end data (small) and power (larger)
    http://www.pchardware.co.uk/maxtorsata6.jpg

    and the EIDE you may be used to
    http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemdetails/C184-50031/2.jpg

    Me

    why?, May 15, 2005
  6. Xeno Chauvin

    Guest Guest

    Visit http://www.pcguide.com if you need some training. There is a lot
    of info there but you can peruse the table of contents or do searches to
    find your topic.

    Guest, May 15, 2005
  7. Xeno Chauvin

    Xeno Chauvin Guest

    Thanks I've already Googled all terms but don't have the time
    to read all 15,657 articles on the subject.
    Came here hoping someone would have a succinct
    definition of the terms.
    Xeno

    Xeno Chauvin, May 16, 2005
  8. Xeno Chauvin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You got them. So say thanks. And you still should read up on the new tech
    before deciding what to put in your new box.

    Toolman Tim, May 16, 2005
  9. Xeno Chauvin

    Guest Guest

    www.pcguide.com is *not* Google. I did see that the author hasn't
    updated his site yet to include information regarding SATA (serial ATA).

    Guest, May 16, 2005