Transferring Programs From A C: To A D: Doable ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Have an old PC, and am about to buy a new one.

    My present one has all my programs and files on the C:, and just
    some back-up text and photo files on my D: drive. The D: has no programs.

    I plan on physically moving my D: to the new machine.

    Any way I can transfer a few programs from the C: to the D: of my
    present PC so I can move a few complete programs ?
    (the original disks for a few programs I use are long gone.)

    Any programs I can download or buy that I can use to accomplish this C: to
    D: type of program transfer?

    Or, are the program files on the present C:so "disbursed" throughout the
    system and registry, it's probably
    just not practical ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 13, 2004

  2. Robert11

    dadiOH Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Have an old PC, and am about to buy a new one.
    >
    > My present one has all my programs and files on the C:, and just
    > some back-up text and photo files on my D: drive. The D: has no
    > programs.
    >
    > I plan on physically moving my D: to the new machine.
    >
    > Any way I can transfer a few programs from the C: to the D: of my
    > present PC so I can move a few complete programs ?
    > (the original disks for a few programs I use are long gone.)

    http://discuss.extremetech.com/n/main.asp?webtag=extremetech&nav=messa
    ges&msg=44873.3

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Nov 13, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Timmy Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:30:02 -0500, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Any programs I can download or buy that I can use to accomplish this C: to
    >D: type of program transfer?

    I use a program to transfer programs and it does a good job.

    If I am not sure that I want to use a program, I install it on my
    scratch disk. If I don't like it, I remove it. If I like it I move it
    to another drive so that it will be backed up when I do an image.

    It is called: Application Mover and is trial ware from:

    http://www.funduc.com

    The only problem I had with it was a pointer in Quicken that it didn't
    find. Was within the Quicken program, not a register entry.

    It finds all the shortcuts and registry entries and makes the
    corrections.

    I bought the program after trying it out.

    Dave

    Timmy, Nov 14, 2004