transferring a telephone #/ownership of a telephone #

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by hdtv?, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. hdtv?

    hdtv? Guest

    I had a telephone # I used for a small business that had be promoted via
    many snail mailings.
    The telephone# was originally with the local telco for ~ 4 years. Thereafter
    the telephone # was transferred to the first VOiP provider.
    At the end of a year with the first VOiP provider a second VOiP provider was
    contracted based on transferring the telephone #.
    6 months later the telephone # has not transferred, the current provider
    apparently cannot manage the process.

    The telephone # now produces a "not in service" answer. A reverse lookup of
    the telephone number indicates it resides with the Telco and is available.
    A call to the Telco produces no results.

    Who owns the telephone #? As the customer service reps (when I can actually
    contact them and speak to them ...) have been of no assistance,
    besides the management of the various companies who could assist in the
    transfer of this telephone #.

    Before I receive the expected response - I have always dealt in a respectful
    and professional manner with the customer service reps - but I always
    indicate I need a workable solution to the problem.

    hdtv?, Oct 18, 2006

  2. hdtv?

    Rick Merrill Guest

    The number is 'managed' by the local telco. You'll have to go (back) to
    them to get reactivated. After some time I suppose they'll give it to
    someone else. This happened to me - long story.

    The telcos must have agreements in place with the local / current
    provider to "port" any given number - another long story.

    Rick Merrill, Oct 18, 2006