    happen?

    Thank you.

    Joe

    Joseph Ezell, Feb 18, 2008

  2. No. There was a program right after XP Pro x64 first released but it
    expired a couple of years ago.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008

  3. Unfortunately, no. The licenses are for different products and you can't
    transfer between them. This changes with Windows Vista, where _retail_
    versions of Windows Vista are for both architectures. With Vista Ultimate,
    you even get both DVDs in the box. With other versions, you need to order
    the DVD for the architecture you don't have.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 18, 2008
  4. There never having been a retail edition of XP Pro x64 probably didn't help.
    Even with that, XP x86 and XP x64 are, as you say, different products in a
    way that they are not with Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008
  5. Joseph Ezell

    Joseph Ezell Guest

    Thanks for the input guys.

    Overall, it's not a big deal ... Just trying to cut corners where I can. I
    see where NewEgg has XP Pro x64 for $139.99. I already have the evaluation
    version burned to disk. Any idea where I can buy just the license? And,
    will it cost less? :)

    Joe

    Joseph Ezell, Feb 18, 2008
  6. All the money is in the license anyway, except for a few bucks for the
    packaging. Just buy the media kit from NewEgg for the $140. Get the COA
    and all.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008
  7. Hi,
    there is the "ebay - way": sell old - buy new
    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Feb 18, 2008
  8. Joseph Ezell

    Joe Ezell Guest

    Colin,

    That supports what I was thinking. Again, thanks for your input.

    Joe

    Joe Ezell, Feb 18, 2008
  9. Joseph Ezell

    Joe Ezell Guest

    True ... There's always that!

    Joe Ezell, Feb 18, 2008
  10. Joseph Ezell

    Theo Guest

    Just buying the license would not be of any benefit. The
    Trial media will not accept an OEM key, so you need the OEM
    media to "upgrade" from the Trial to a regular OEM installation.

    Theo, Feb 18, 2008
  11. You're welcome.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008
  12. Theo, the license IS the product key.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008
  13. Except that XP Pro x64 is a system builder edition only which means that you
    want some assurance that the software has not been used. Only one external
    transfer is allowed by the XP Pro x64 EULA (multiple internal transfers are
    permitted). It is better not to use eBay in this case unless it is a
    reseller you know for a fact sells only fresh copies of system builder
    software.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008
  14. Joseph Ezell

    Theo Guest

    Please don't misunderstand or take offense. I am fully
    aware of that, I just wanted to ensure the OP knew that just
    buying a license would not accomplish his objective since he
    couldn't use it to 'upgrade' the Trial to a full OEM
    installation.

    Theo, Feb 18, 2008