Transfer from dying C: drive to laptop?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trax, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Trax

    Trax Guest

    |>A friend has a Dell PC whose C: drive has crashed and is now
    |>unbootable. However, I have installed an old 2GB bootable
    |>drive from an older machine and can now boot the machine AND
    |>access the original C: drive (which has many system errors
    |>and is making nasty noises). How best to transfer the 7GB of
    |>data from the failing C: drive to another machine before it
    |>fails completely?

    Stay out of windows is a suggestion it has a horrendous problem if it runs into
    an error could take 5 mins. to inform you it has a cyclic error, at just one bad
    spot.

    Drop into dos and use XCOPY and copy 1.5 gigs at a time (1.5 for leaway).

    type XCOPY /? for help.

    Trax, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Trax

    Jim Guest

    A friend has a Dell PC whose C: drive has crashed and is now
    unbootable. However, I have installed an old 2GB bootable
    drive from an older machine and can now boot the machine AND
    access the original C: drive (which has many system errors
    and is making nasty noises). How best to transfer the 7GB of
    data from the failing C: drive to another machine before it
    fails completely?

    1) Buy/borrow a CDRW (original is broken) and do CD backups
    on the old machine.

    2) Connect the old machine to a laptop (HOW? Given the 7GB
    size of data, a serial cable link doesn't sound too good.
    Can I connect USB<>USB and do faster transfer?)

    3)Send all 7GB over MSN Messenger (the PC still has an
    Internet connection)

    4)Anything else?

    Thanks....To email, take out the dog...

    Jim, Jan 5, 2004

  3. copy over only what you need. (install files for programs, documents,
    e-mail, etc.) I'm not sure if the USB connection would be a good idea or
    not, sorry. If you have more than 2GB of stuff you NEED to backup, copy as
    much as possible to the 2GB HD and burn everything else to copy to a
    different (and hopefully larger) HD later.

    Mr.SlippyFist, Jan 6, 2004