    What cable & software would I need?

    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ , Mar 28, 2005

  2. Martin ©¿©¬

    Adi Guest

    You need parallel data cable, connected in both PC parallel ports.
    Windows XP have built in software for transfer.

    Adi, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Martin ©¿©¬

    MJP Guest

    Take your old drive out.

    Connect it to your new pc either as a slave drive or in place of your
    cd(depends how they are already connected.).

    Boot up and copy data.

    It may assist if you check the settings of your CD drive in your new pc and
    connect your old drive in place of it, making sure that it is jumpered
    correctly i.e. master/ slave/cable select.

    When you have finished copying the data, shutdown, remove your old hard disk
    reconnect your CD

    Any further clarification needed just ask

    MJP

    MJP, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Martin ©¿©¬

    old john Guest

    another option is to put the old hard drive in new machine
    as a Slave, and transfer your data, but this won`t work with any programs
    you want to move..J

    old john, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Hi MJP & John
    This is not an option
    I'ts for my daughter & besides this could effect the new pc's warranty

    Regards
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ , Mar 28, 2005
  6. Martin ©¿©¬

    carson Guest

    warranty?
    you gotta look under the hood!!

    carson, Mar 28, 2005
  7. Martin ©¿©¬

    Ron Martell Guest

    To accumulate the data and your program configuration settings use the
    Files And Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP. First
    run the program on the new machine to create a diskette with the
    transfer program on it. Then run that program on the Windows 98
    Machine and save the results in a folder named C:\Transfer on its hard
    drive.

    To import the accumulated data you can use several methods:
    1. If both machines have network cards you can use a crossover
    network cable (or a hub or router) to network them. Configure the
    Windows 98 machine to share its hard drive and then run FASTW on the
    new machine to import the data across the network.

    2. Another transfer method would be to remove the hard drive from the
    old machine and install it temporarily as a second hard drive in the
    Windows XP machine. Rather than go through the gyrations of
    configuring the two drives as master and slave, which could require
    that you remove the XP hard drive to change the configuration jumper
    on it, connect the old hard drive to the secondary IDE channel using
    the data cable and power lead from the CDROM drive. That way no
    jumpers need to be changed.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Mar 28, 2005
  8. Hi Adi
    I found XP's how-to for data transfer
    Looks straight forward enough
    It's for my daughter, so i'll pass it on

    Many thanks
    Regards
    Martin
    ©¿©¬