    technology, not simply to aquire the certification. Is my impression of the
    two sets accurate? If so, I'd rather get the resource kit set as I create my
    own practical drills to do after each section of theory."

    Blue Olive, Jan 20, 2009

  2. I always use the Official Microsoft Training Kits. But what is vitally
    important to remember is that no 800 to 1000 page manual can cover
    everything that might show up on the exam. These books quite often have
    links to TechNet and other web based articles. These articles are a MUST
    READ!

    I also have the Windows Server 2008 resource Kit. Although, it didn't arrive
    until after I had taken the 70-649 upgrade exam. There were no Training
    Kits for this exam at the time. I've encountered this four other times in
    the past and each time it definitely made exam preparation much more
    difficult, but not impossible.

    Yesterday I just passed my 50th certification exam, and my goal has always
    been to learn as much about the topic as I could. The certification is just
    a mild-stone along the way. It definitely shouldn't be considered the finish
    line.

    About the Resource Kits & TechNet:
    In the past, I've seen reviews of exams tracing the answer to each question
    back to TechNet and the Resource Kit. I feel that this is still the case.
    With these two resources, you should be able to find nearly 100% of the
    answers for any exam. The problem is that these two resources contain so
    much information it can be hard to narrow down your research. Therefore, a
    Training Kit can be very useful in guiding you to just the relevant
    information.

    About Training Kits:
    It is a fact of life that some training kits are better than others. So it
    can be useful to get a second training kit from one of the third party
    publishers.

    About Microsoft Exams:
    There's no way that a 50 question exam can fully cover all of the exam
    objectives with equal details. It is quite common that you will be asked
    about some very insignificant fact. The assumptions here is that if you know
    this, then you most probably know most of the significant stuff as well.
    Also, it is often common to get several questions about one topic and no
    questions about other topics that are equally important to know for the
    day-to-day support of the product. The assumption here is that since you
    never know which questions you will be tested on, you must prepare equally
    on all topics.

    Finally it is common to get exam questions where none of the given answers
    are 100% correct. But if your knowledge is broad enough, you can always rule
    out three of the answers as being definitely incorrect. Then even if the
    remaining answer is only partially correct (i.e. it states only one step of
    a two set process), then you know that it is the answer you should choose.

    My recommendation is that, if you have the time and money, I would utilize
    both sources. If not, then I recommend using the Official Microsoft Training
    Kits and always remember to read the additional web based information that
    they point to.

    Harvey Colwell, Jan 20, 2009