    I'd be more than happy to have a "no p2p" connection if it meant $10/month
    for UBS level stuff now that I wasn't subsidising p2p users (assuming
    Craigs guestimate was remotely accurate).

    AD., Aug 17, 2005

  2. steve

    Shane Guest

    <AOL post>
    me too
    </AOL post>

    Shane, Aug 17, 2005

  3. steve

    Brendan Guest

    That is not 'putting it another way', it is claiming somthing entirely
    different.

    And stupid.

    I would like you to list other net uses that are more popular than p2p that
    REQUIRE broadband speeds of typical residential connections.
    You are not subsidising anyone. It is not OUR fault if Orcon markets it's
    connections with 10GB caps it cannot provide.

    If you buy $20 of petrol, you do not get given $10 worth and they hope you
    will not use the other $10 worth.

    10GB of access to the Net is what it is sold as, not 10GB of access to
    their caches. Or 10GB of access to artificially hobbled access to the net.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #328464 +(4373)- [X]

    SparTacus () has joined #santcuary
    *SparTacus is now known as Betty_Guns
    wacko Jacko () has joined #santcuary
    <wacko_Jacko>ok spartacus just came n here i know it. which one of you is
    that loser?
    <hunney> I am spartacus
    <ji_pper>no im spartacus
    <Betty_Guns>I am spartacus
    <mistr andersn>I¢m spartacus
    <wacko_Jacko>ur all freaks thats what u r

    Note: All my comments are copyright 17/08/2005 11:29:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 17, 2005
  4. steve

    AD. Guest

    Maybe if I had've put a smiley you wouldn't have frothed at the mouth so
    much.
    Since when does REQUIRE come into it? How about DESIRE?

    I would like things like faster downloads than dial up (you try keeping
    Debian Sid up to date on dial up), always on connections, no tying up the
    phone etc etc.
    Huh? If a minority of users use the majority of the capacity and the
    costs aren't directly proportional, how is that not subsidising?
    Lame analogy. With petrol you pay for exactly how much you use, and
    you get to keep what you don't use each month and use it next month.

    If the costs aren't directly proportional to each users usage, then some
    users are subsidising others. And no I'm not advocating that just stating
    it clearly for you.
    I thought it was 10GB up and down your little wire which is what it was
    sold as.

    Anyway, you're going off on a tangent. I'm not an Orcon user and don't
    care about how crap they are or not - I was commenting on the hypothetical
    $10/month if it wasn't for p2p usage. And if that statement was even
    remotely realistic, surely you can see that it would be an attractive deal
    for users that don't care about p2p, and by its very nature prove that non
    p2p users are subsidising p2p users.

    AD., Aug 17, 2005
  5. Genuine L7? Well yes
    Kazza is a good example of this.. when the 1st version came out it
    used port 1412 and yaya.. easily slowed down.. then it started to use
    port 80 and then random ports. so L4 QOS is impossible to pick up
    Kazaa traffic. The only way is Layer 7.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Aug 17, 2005
  6. steve

    Kazonme Guest

    Regardelss

    Now, is the capped bandwidth inclide local + international traffic!
    That's is the issue?

    Kazonme, Aug 18, 2005
  7. we live in a democracy not anarchy
    a mandate exists because the people have not elected a goverment to
    chaneg IP laws

    FreedomChooser, Aug 18, 2005
  8. No party has yet stood on a platform of IP-law reform, though Labour are
    at least revising the Copyright Act.
    How do you give someone a mandate when nobody is offering what you seek?
    Your only option is to rabble-rouse through civil disobedience, and hope
    that eventually the politicians get a clue - vain hope, I know.

    Matthew Poole, Aug 18, 2005
  9. steve

    Bret Guest

    Well, in that case there is a mandate for anything you want to name.

    Bret, Aug 18, 2005
  10. if it is not a big issue then claims that "the people have spoken" are
    nonsense

    This issu obvously capitvates only a bery small minority Pov

    FreedomChooser, Aug 20, 2005
  11. steve

    dennis Guest

    You're basically inspecting the TCP/UDP data field, which is where most
    applications run. Realistically few applications have 7 layers; most
    just sit on top of TCP/UDP as raw data. I wouldn't call that layer 5 or
    layer 7. Looking for patterns in TCP or UDP data fields is hardly "L7"
    management. An L7 manager would be able to identify at the user level,
    such as managing all of user=BigToad's traffic, which no one really
    does.

    But I'm sure you guys know more than me. :)

    DB

    dennis, Aug 26, 2005