Tracking IP addresses and Usenet posts?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RayLopez99, Jan 3, 2011.

  1. RayLopez99

    RayLopez99 Guest

    This is more a privacy question but I could not figure out a forum for
    it.

    Given that one can track IP addresses of people that visit a website,
    and given that IP addresses of all mail, including Usenet posts, is in
    the header, is there an automated way of checking all Usenet posts by
    IP address? To see if a particular poster who visited a particular
    website also posted certain messages on Usenet or elsewhere? This
    would be done by the webmaster of the website visited. Is there a
    program to do this? Not manually, which anybody can do, but a
    software program.

    I recall years ago some stock forensic accounting firm working with
    the US SEC developed some kind of software--or was it off the shelf?
    that's my question--that allowed you to tell, by comparing IP
    addresses as well as sentence syntax (sentence syntax is difficult, so
    it was probably a custom program) who (by IP address) posted what on
    various penny stock bulletin boards and chat rooms. Then they were
    able to subpoena the internet provider to find out the real world
    identity of the particular person who had that IP address assigned to
    them on a particular day of a certain posting (assuming it was not a
    permanent static address).

    RL

    RayLopez99, Jan 3, 2011

  2. RayLopez99

    Snit Guest

    RayLopez99 stated in post
    on 1/3/11
    9:00 AM:
    I have, in my logs, the names of some of the folks in COLA/CSMA labeled.
    For example, Steve Carroll used to claim to never visit my site - so I
    labeled his IP address. His name pops up in my logs... and he visits often.
    I also get visits from others in his area (the IP address can show where
    someone is from). He likely goes to neighbors and the library or wherever
    to view my site.

    Snit, Jan 3, 2011

  3. RayLopez99

    Lusotec Guest

    Security groups may be what you are looking for.
    No. Many posts don't have the IP of the poster, and even those that have may
    not be reliable, as not being the IP of the poster but of some proxy.

    I use a anonymizing proxy to post in Usenet, so even if some header has a IP
    it will be the proxy's IP and not the system's IP I'm posting from.

    Regards.

    Lusotec, Jan 3, 2011
  4. *Some* servers include the IP address of the poster in the header

    Your post's header had this line in it

    which, unless it was spoofed, should be your address...

    Not all servers implement this feature so some postings are less traceable.

    Claude V. Lucas, Jan 3, 2011
  5. RayLopez99

    Snit Guest

    Hadron stated in post ifstms$c10$-september.org on 1/3/11 9:32
    AM:
    Yes... mine has been spoofed on a number of occasions by trolls masquerading
    as me. For a while Carroll and crew were posting under different names with
    my IP address... and then claiming to be my wife and the like. Utterly
    repulsive behavior.

    Snit, Jan 3, 2011
  6. RayLopez99

    Lusotec Guest

    Unless he is using a proxy. In that case it is the proxy's IP that the nntp
    server will see and put in the header.
    Regards.

    Lusotec, Jan 3, 2011
  7. RayLopez99

    Juan Guest

    Yea.
    HPT is always slithering around stalking people.

    Juan, Jan 3, 2011
  8. RayLopez99

    Snit Guest

    Juan stated in post on 1/3/11
    10:26 AM:
    Look at the list of quotes he has *about* me... scavenged over many years
    and many are out and out forged (from Carroll socks and the like). He does
    that because he *knows* he cannot show me doing as he accuses.

    It is reprehensible on his part.

    Then again, the fact he and his cohorts target me to such an extent is proof
    they know I am right ... or at least mostly so ... in what I write and that
    I support my views well. There is no other reason for them to obsess about
    me so much.

    Snit, Jan 3, 2011
  9. RayLopez99

    RayLopez99 Guest

    Just visited your site. So I see now why you're against Linux.
    Indeed, it would give people without any medical problems a heart
    attack, anxiety attack or worse (like epileptic fits trying to install
    it). Makes sense.

    RL

    RayLopez99, Jan 3, 2011
  10. RayLopez99

    RayLopez99 Guest

    Yes apparently easily spoofed--and Peter Kohlmann for one thinks I'm
    not posting from Greece. But tell me, how is it easily spoofed?
    Using what program or platform? Unix? Microsoft? I've always heard
    that it's easy to spoof but never looked into the mechanics of it.

    RL

    RayLopez99, Jan 3, 2011
  11. Oh, lessee, let me think, hmmmmmmmmmmm

    *ALT.PRIVACY?????*

    Nooooo, you don't want to go there and get your rectum reamed for the
    umpteenth time. LOL
    Show mine.

    Can't?

    Stick to thumping your meat.

    Yes.
    Jesus, what a blathering idiot you are.

    Here, have some more Astrolube, TallyWhacker. lol

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 3, 2011
  12. Who the hell let open the kindergarten door?

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 3, 2011
  13. RayLopez99

    RayLopez99 Guest

    You behave Ari Silverstein, or I'll stick that Balkan Curse back on
    you. (For the rest of you reading this thread, I threatened Ari with
    a voodoo curse unless he replied to a certain post, and he dutifully
    replied, showing that he was afraid of the curse. LOL Ari believes in
    black magic, as do many people).

    RL

    RayLopez99, Jan 3, 2011
  14. RayLopez99

    Snit Guest

    Ari Silverstein stated in post on 1/3/11
    11:46 AM:
    Welcome to COLA discussions. :)

    Snit, Jan 3, 2011
  15. RayLopez99

    Snit Guest

    RayLopez99 stated in post
    on 1/3/11
    11:28 AM:
    To be clear: I am *not* against Linux. I use it and suggest it to others.
    I think it is great... but I also realize it has a *lot* of room for
    improvement.

    Snit, Jan 3, 2011
  16. So where's th IP?

    You are one of the more insufferably stoPidD imbeciles on Usenet, you
    are aware of that?
    On top of being a fukksnort, you're a pathetic troll too.So back to
    your dick you go. *LOL*

    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec....4c0c2?tvc=1&q=RayLopez99+nut#d8ec9b08cc94c0c2>

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 3, 2011
  17. Ari Silverstein, Jan 3, 2011
  18. Is Meat Thumper RayLopez99 one of yours over there on COLA? If so,
    would you mind packing him back into his Jack-In-The-Box, fer
    chrissakes? lol

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 3, 2011
  19. Some privacy newsgroups have the word "privacy" in their names.

    I don't know the program you are talking about, but if you find it I
    would be interested in the "posting style" aspect of identification. It
    is my belief that *that* method is more powerful than just an IP address
    or even a range of IP addresses. With all of the different ways users
    can access the internet and usenet, IP numbers change too often to be of
    any use outside of the authority's ability to match the IP and the time
    to the client account and contactable person's name and street address.

    Usenet posts can be completely untraceable if the right system is used,
    but posting style can be a dead giveaway good enough for non-authorities.

    FromTheRafters, Jan 4, 2011
  20. It is text based, see the NNTP RFC's.

    FromTheRafters, Jan 4, 2011