Trace this guy and shut him down?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ellis_jay, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    Is there anyway to trace this guy and shut him down? He has posted this
    about 25 times and has been a pest for the last 2-3 weeks with his feuding
    with another poster named Ron. There has been bodily threats tossed back
    and forth between them. The regulars in the group are staying out of it,
    but this imposter is interferring (sp) with downloads and contests over at
    Rec.gambling.racing. There is one poster in the group that does post from
    Tampa, Florida, and I could give the header-and I will do in a follow up.
    If the imposter and the regular poster from Tampa are one and the same, then
    I suppose then that I will not follow up with passing the info gleaned from
    this group. The real Ron and the regular from Tampa are fussing, but this
    phony Ron may be another person. Bunch of shit.

    A friend of mine runs a tip sheet booth iat a California horse racetrack.
    The regular poaster from Tampa has indicated he wants to visit my friend at
    the California track when the horses break. My friend has indicated to me
    that if the regular Tampa guy is the phony Ron then he would be uneasy
    receiving a visit from a "nut". That is the underlying reason for this
    "RF-little-"c"

    tia

    From: ron <>
    Newsgroups: rec.gambling.racing
    Subject: Re: Saturday classic 7/01
    Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:18:00 -0400

    ********************The REAL TAMPA GUY*********

    HERE:
    From: spOOkie <deletedbyellis
    @netzero.compost>
    Newsgroups: alt.sport.horse-racing
    Subject: Re: Dialogue about Jesus Christ
    Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:25:05 GMT

    I deleted his name from the header.

    WHAt say you? ( Damn! I am sounding like Bill O'Reilly-SOmEBoDy sToP mE,
    pULEEzE!)

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Jun 30, 2006

  2. ellis_jay

    Whiskers Guest

    snip

    Forget about 'Tampa, Florida' as a useful clue for whatever it is that's
    bothering you.

    If there are two posters with similar posting names, look carefully at the
    headers of each to tell them apart.

    Is

    From: ron <>
    Newsgroups: rec.gambling.racing
    Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:17:34 -0400
    the same person as

    From: "ron" <>
    Newsgroups: alt.sport.horse-racing
    Date: 29 Jun 2006 18:01:34 -0700
    (you decide).

    Is

    From: spOOkie <>
    Newsgroups: alt.sport.horse-racing
    Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:29:40 GMT
    The same person as either of them? Again, you decide.

    As long as all those people use consistent identities (ie the stuff you
    don't want to see always comes from the same one) then it's easy enough to
    'block' or 'plonk' that one using your newsreader's filtering abilities
    (people reading via Google Groups are out of luck, they'll just have to
    use their own brains to do the ignoring).

    If you really think that someone is breaking the 'terms of service' of
    their news-service provider then contact the 'abuse' or 'complaints'
    address mentioned in the headers of their articles.

    Whiskers, Jun 30, 2006

  3. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    Why did you wase your time? Sheesh!

    ellis_jay, Jun 30, 2006
  4. ellis_jay

    Whiskers Guest

    If that's the thanks I get, then yes, why did I bother? If there is some
    part of my reply that you don't understand, ask for further clarification.

    Whiskers, Jun 30, 2006
  5. He didn't want you to be clear, he wanted you to hunt down this guy(s)
    and shut them down.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 30, 2006
  6. ellis_jay

    Mike Easter Guest

    Not what you want. Trollish ng behavior isn't likely to get him 'shut
    down'. He is most likely posting from hir own broadband connectivity
    provider from a Tampa FL dsl IP tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net via a
    'free/open' .tw newsserver news.ndhu.edu.tw sometimes.

    200 news.ndhu.edu.tw InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.2 (20040707
    prerelease) ready (posting ok).

    You can complaint to his verizon provider but the most of his identity
    'spoofing' is a 'legal' form of spoofing - he is only using the same
    handle as ron sometimes, not the same email address, except
    occasionally.

    The spOOkie persona "Jim Bodini" is openly spoofing ron and taunting him
    without covering his trail, posting with his IP exposed in both the
    verizon and the National Dong Hwa University news servers. Also, the
    dsl IP sticks a pretty long time without changing. There is no current
    evidence that that IP is compromised, and the spOOkie persona has been
    using it for some time, even when he and ron were friendly.
    Just filter it out. If your newsagent doesn't filter well, you'll have
    to either do it mentally or get a different newsagent.

    You are the one who is wasting time working on a project which should
    simply be ignored/filtered.

    Mike Easter, Jun 30, 2006
  7. ellis_jay

    Whiskers Guest

    He can do his own hunting; I've shown him the spoor but it's up to him to
    do the tracking and get his own supper.

    Whiskers, Jun 30, 2006
  8. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    Sorry. Thanx. But my point was that basically you just "told" me what I
    basically posted in the first instance. But Thanx for your time.

    ellis_jay, Jun 30, 2006
  9. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    I agree. I wasted my time and other's time and should have kept my nose on
    the sideline. I don't want to kill file or filter either of those guys so I
    will continue to waste my time clicking on a post and seeing if it is the
    real deal.....or not. Thanx to all that responded.

    ellis_jay, Jul 1, 2006