    http://www.capturenewzealand.com/
    as a possible way of doing it.

    Has anyone here done a tour of this type?

    Joan, Apr 20, 2007

  2. Joan

    snapper Guest

    I'd be a bit worried about them saying, "photograph that" all of the time.

    snapper, Apr 20, 2007

  3. Joan

    Joan Guest

    Have you done a tour of this type? Have you been to New Zealand?

    I've been to NZ, 36 years ago, and from what I remember, "photograph
    that" could be said every 5 minutes.

    --
    Joan

    :

    Joan, Apr 20, 2007
  4. Joan wrote
    I agree. It would be very useful to gave someone with an
    eye for and a knowledge of photography take you to
    particularly good places, even if you only get to go to a
    very small fraction of the islands.

    Chris

    Chris Gilbert, Apr 20, 2007
  5. Joan

    jloo Guest

    Hello Joan,
    I visited New Zealand last March 06 for a month with my wife and sister.
    I was tempted to go by tour and decided to listen to the advice of my
    friends in Queenstown and visit with no tour plan.
    I enjoyed myself thoroughly and had many photo opportunities. South and
    North Island are full of differences in landscape and city and town life.
    Staying at local Hostels was a benefit and was very cost effective.
    Renting a car was also nice since you could have your own schedule. I
    enjoyed the cities as well as the countryside and mountainous areas.....The
    inland "high desert "areas were fabulous.
    Time and destination are an important factor since there is so much to see.
    It may be better to stay on the South Island only and tour, or vice
    versus....
    I have a lot of info and can pass that on if interested.
    A tour may be helpful if you are alone.
    John Loomis

    jloo, Apr 20, 2007
  6. Joan

    Joan Guest

    John, I'm single and I'm not young, though not yet retired, so I would
    be travelling alone which wouldn't be very wise. I was thinking the
    photographic tour would be as much an education in photography as a
    way of seeing the South Island again with a more mature eye than I had
    so long ago.

    I still have my slides from the trip in 1971, most I took, some I
    bought, and will be digitising them soon so I can view them again.

    I have work colleagues in Auckland and will go there before going
    south, if I decide to do the trip. One of my colleagues has offered
    me her car so I can take a drive up to Northland. Back in 1971, we
    didn't have much time to see that area, just a quick drive up and back
    and I remember that it was stunningly beautiful and I want to see it
    again. Our trip back then was a self drive 3 week tour with
    pre-booked accommodation, 2 weeks south and 1 week north. I knew
    nothing about photography back then. I hope I know a bit more now,
    although the thing that I do know now, is that there is a lot more to
    learn.

    --
    Joan

[...]
    : : > I'm thinking of having a holiday in NZ later this year and looking
    at
    : > http://www.capturenewzealand.com/
    : > as a possible way of doing it.
    : >
    : > Has anyone here done a tour of this type?
    : >
    : > --
    : > Joan
    : > http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
    : >
    :
    :

    Joan, Apr 20, 2007
  7. Joan

    jloo Guest

    Hello Joan,
    That sounds like a wonderful idea......
    The South Island is beautiful and well worth the time to spend there. I was
    able to see more on the South Island than on the North Island.....
    We did spend time in Wellington and Auckland and enjoyed that very much.
    Good wishes on your trip and I did see some of your photos and they are very
    nice.(flikr)
    The weather can be pretty nasty in the winter and was wondering when your
    trip was going to be?
    March was a nice time and less tourism, yet it was starting to be a bit Fall
    like.

    jloo, Apr 21, 2007
  8. Joan

    Joan Guest

    I've received a reply from Phillip Bartlett
    http://www.capturenewzealand.com/tours/content/view/18/64/
    saying that there is currently a vacancy on the November/December 2007
    tour.

    If I miss it, I'm not too worried, I'll go next year.

    Joan, Apr 21, 2007
  9. Joan

    Roy G Guest

    Hi.

    It is a very beautiful and photogenic country.

    I would not be concerned about travelling alone, because there is a
    unorganised / organised sort of backpackers bus, which tours around and you
    get on and off where you want. I think it is called the Kiwi Bus.

    There are all sorts of age groups staying in the hostels, and using that
    bus, and you would soon find someone to team up with.

    Car hire is not really any cheaper than anywhere else, but fuel is
    considerable cheaper than in Europe. The N. Zealanders must be verging on
    being the worst and most dangerous drivers in the civilised world.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Apr 21, 2007
  10. Joan

    Joan Guest

    Thanks for your comments Roy, but the fuel price in Europe doesn't
    mean much to me as I'm in Sydney Australia. From what I've heard the
    Italians and Mexicans vie for worst driver status. The only driving I
    might do in NZ is a day trip north of Auckland in a friend's car.

    --
    Joan

    :
    : Hi.
    :

    Joan, Apr 21, 2007
  11. Joan

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Joan exclaimed (20-Apr-07 8:35 PM):
    or less...

    Been there too: http://www.jodi.ws/nz/newzealand.htm - now, these are
    rather old (Jan 2000), and taken with my very first digital camera
    (Kodak DC260), but you hopefully still get the idea...

    jmc

    jmc, Apr 23, 2007