Tougher seat-belt law die

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by larrylaundry, May 5, 2009.

  1. larrylaundry

    larrylaundry Guest

    Preserving autonomy. People should wear belts, but how often can you
    really see people wear them, whether they are or not. Having law
    enforcement pull you over, just to see what might be going on, would
    lead to more intrusive government.

    Tougher seat-belt law dies
    Denver Post Wire Services
    Updated: 05/05/2009 01:09:53 AM MDT

    A Colorado House committee has killed a bill to toughen Colorado's
    seat-belt law.

    The bill would have allowed officers to pull over drivers suspected of
    not wearing seat belts and write them $75 tickets.

    Currently, seat belts are mandatory, but authorities can ticket only
    drivers who have been pulled over for other traffic offenses. Compiled
    by Denver Post Staff Writers John Ingold, Jeremy P. Meyer and the
    Associated Press.

    larrylaundry, May 5, 2009

  2. larrylaundry

    richard Guest

    That's the way it should be. Many states have passed laws giving cops
    authority to stop and cite for no seat belt only. That, only gives
    various jurisdictions reasons to tell their officers to cite as many
    as they can simply to generate revenue.

    Hudspeth County Texas does this. I got nabbed there for no seat belt.
    I told the texas DPS that their officers were running the scam for the
    county and I refused to pay the ticket. So what if they suspend my out
    of state license. They have no legal authority to do so. At least I
    got the satisfaction of not making the county any money off of me.

    richard, May 5, 2009

  3. larrylaundry

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Your choice but have you seen the injuries that you can sustain from not
    wearing a seat belt? Even relatively low speeds can cause serious injury
    and putting your face in close proximity to an air bag as it is deployed
    is not recommended ;-)

    These revenue generating cops are the same ones you will be wanting to
    pull you from the wreckage and keeping you alive.

    Desk Rabbit, May 5, 2009
  4. larrylaundry

    richard Guest

    I have seen all kinds of videos related to seat belts. Strange how
    they never show the ones where people die while wearing one.
    Like recently in Texas, a 6 year old was buckled in and he died.

    Have you ever seen those "Crash test dummies" rolling around a car
    with no seat belt? Trust me. As I have experienced a roll over, it
    don't happen that way. As I began to roll over, every muscle in my
    body tightened up and I was locked into the seat. Even while the
    vehicle was on it's side.

    In my SUV, the seat belt is poorly mounted so that when I have it on,
    it literally cuts my neck and I consider it a danger to me with it
    hooked.

    What we really need is, the race car style harness where the belt
    comes in over both shoulders. One of these days I'm going to get busy
    and build a design I have for a seat belt. Sell it to the truck makers
    and become a millionaire.

    richard, May 5, 2009
  5. larrylaundry

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Probably because the number of people who die as a direct cause of
    wearing a seat belt is minuscule compared to the number who survive.
    I don't know the details but say for example if the parents were not
    belted in they could have landed on the child, perhaps a piece of
    masonary, car, fence etc. entered the car and hit the child. There are a
    million and one reasons why that child could have died, very few would
    be because they were safely buckled in the seat.

    Like to see you do that when you don't see the accident coming.

    There are adjusters available on the market to cater for that.

    So you agree that wearing a seat belt is a good idea then? Boggle!!

    Desk Rabbit, May 5, 2009
  6. larrylaundry

    Evan Platt Guest

    Like, recently? How recent? And when did this happen before? How
    frequent do you think this is?

    Think of the people that.. oh heck, die while climbing stairs. Not a
    huge issue.

    The number of people that die while wearing seat belts are nowhere
    near the number of people that DIDN'T die while wearing seat belts.
    Hmm. That explains a lot. I'm going to go with Brain Damage for $800,
    Alex.
    And obviously it cuts off circulation to your head too. Permanently.

    So don't wear it.
    Riiiight.

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2009
  7. larrylaundry

    Evan Platt Guest

    LOL... Yes, they do.

    Idiot.

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2009
  8. larrylaundry

    richard Guest

    Hey dufus. I've checked. My Wisconsin license has never been suspended
    for any reason. Only the issuing state can suspend a license. Period.

    Had I been in Texas and got stopped again with a suspended license,
    then that may make a difference, in texas. Not in wisconsin.

    richard, May 5, 2009
  9. larrylaundry

    richard Guest

    Well smart boy, as you are probably (un)aware, airbags are required in
    every car. I'd stake my life on that airbag before that damn seatbelt.

    Well before airbags were general knowledge to the general public,
    there was a crash involving two people in a car. The officer
    approaching the scene calmly advised the dispatch of the condition and
    figured he had two dead bodies.

    As he neared the driver's door, he quickly got on his radio and said,
    "Dispatch. Send the fire department and tell them to bring the jaws of
    life. We have two live people in this vehcle. This vehicle is airbag
    equipped".

    And there have been numerous ocassions where the people who were
    wearing seat belts got tossed out of the car because the latch on the
    seatbelt failed when struck.

    richard, May 5, 2009
  10. Feel free to do so. But don't come back and complain when you die after
    the secondary crash.

    a. your car hits other car, airbag deploys, saves your life
    b. airbag almost instantly deflates
    c. your car bounces off other car, hits large tree
    d. you fly through windshield, hit tree with head

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 5, 2009
  11. larrylaundry

    Evan Platt Guest

    Oh, I'm quite aware, St00pid. Taken a few courses in extrication and
    how to handle the airbags and airbag sensors on newer cars, hybrids,
    etc.
    Your airbag works WITH your seatbelt. Without a seatbelt, and only an
    airbag, you could end up with a broken neck, and be paralyzed.
    What does airbags have to do with it?
    The officer (wrongly) made a initial report on conditions without
    checking for a pulse, or even doing a basic patient assessment. What
    does this have to do with airbags or lack thereof?
    Numerous. I'm sure this amounts to probably less than 100 in .. oh 10
    years.

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2009
  12. larrylaundry

    Evan Platt Guest

    Yep. I've taken a few courses in extrication where we had to spend an
    extended period of time just discussing how you get around some of
    these. Often, disconnecting the car battery won't even be enough.

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2009
  13. larrylaundry

    Evan Platt Guest

    Oh sorry, didn't realize you lived in the Cow state, Cow.

    http://public.findlaw.com/traffic-ticket-violation-law/traffic-ticket-more/drivers-license-faq.html

    If I get a ticket in another state, will it affect my driver's
    license?

    Forty-eight states belong either to an agreement called the "Driver's
    License Compact" or the "Non-Resident Violator Compact." (The only
    states that don't belong to one or the other are Michigan and
    Wisconsin.) When you get a ticket in one of these states, the
    department of motor vehicles will relay the information to your state
    -- and the violation will affect your driving record as if the ticket
    had been given at home.

    Maybe one day Michigan and Wisconsin will wisen up.

    I can only hope Texas issues a warrant for your dumb ass and locks you
    up.

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2009
  14. larrylaundry

    Evan Platt Guest

    RtS vs a tree. Two questions:

    Which is smarter?

    Which would win?

    I feel sorry for the tree. That fool has a thick head.

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2009
  15. larrylaundry

    Aardvark Guest

    His head? Do you really think that would do RtS any real harm?

    Aardvark, May 5, 2009
  16. Well, I guess you and Evan have a point. Can we save a tree and
    substitute "concrete abutment" instead? (Or would his head bring down
    the bridge?)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 5, 2009
  17. larrylaundry

    bd Guest

    If they were worried about your safety and not the revenue they would
    require seatbelts on school buses

    bd, May 5, 2009
  18. larrylaundry

    Evan Platt Guest

    Not just schoolbuses that don't have seatbelts - limos, and buses
    don't either.

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2009
  19. larrylaundry

    C.D Guest

    yo

    C.D, May 6, 2009
  20. larrylaundry

    Pennywise Guest

    Washington State, It's "Click it or Ticket" -The motto for the offence

    I've gotten a ticket for driving without a seat belt, and another time
    as a passenger not wearing a seat belt (they pulled over my son) :)

    No other ticket than not wearing a seat belt, for both of them.

    Pennywise, May 6, 2009