Touching a flat panel monitor: REALLY bad idea?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mdmarshall, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. mdmarshall

    mdmarshall Guest

    Hey, all, just a silly question here:

    I don't have a Dell myself, but just helped Mom get hers set up. It
    has a flat panel monitor. Sister already has one.

    Sis' piped up right away and says "the flat panel is cool, but make
    SURE you don't touch it, it's BAD for it!"

    Don't know if this was in the Dell literature, or she saw it elsewhere.
    I'm still on a CRT myself, but I can't imagine it would be all that
    bad. What if it gets dusty? Can you wipe it with a cloth?

    I don't plan on pretending it a touch-screen, but is touching it really
    förbödën? (I just made up those characters, I'm sure they're wrong!
    hehehe....)

    Mike
    O-

    mdmarshall, Dec 2, 2005

  2. mdmarshall

    Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    It's rediculous. I have a flat panel monitor at home and use them at work
    and touch the screens and no problems. I try to avoid getting finger
    prints on them just like the CRT and you can take a damp cloth and clean
    the screen.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 2, 2005

  3. mdmarshall

    Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>Hey, all, just a silly question here:
    |>
    |>I don't have a Dell myself, but just helped Mom get hers set up. It
    |>has a flat panel monitor. Sister already has one.
    |>
    |>Sis' piped up right away and says "the flat panel is cool, but make
    |>SURE you don't touch it, it's BAD for it!"
    |>
    |>Don't know if this was in the Dell literature, or she saw it elsewhere.
    |> I'm still on a CRT myself, but I can't imagine it would be all that
    |>bad. What if it gets dusty? Can you wipe it with a cloth?
    |>
    |>I don't plan on pretending it a touch-screen, but is touching it really
    |>förbödën? (I just made up those characters, I'm sure they're wrong!
    |> hehehe....)

    I won't touch a LCD monitor's screen unless I have to.

    The way I see it an LCD screen is a membrane, and you scratch it, it's
    permanent. The more you can prevent contact of any sort to the screen
    the better.

    Plus a lot of people think like your sister, and you go touching their
    LCD monitor and their going to get upset...

    By the way My computer literature tell me never to open the case, I
    plan on ignoring that advice (to clean dust if nothing else).

    Trax, Dec 2, 2005
  4. mdmarshall

    Plato Guest

    You can touch it. Just do your research first and get the right product
    to clean it later on.

    Plato, Dec 2, 2005
  5. mdmarshall

    Mitch Guest

    An LCD screen has two disadvantages; it has a texture, to soften glare.
    That texture makes it harder to clean.
    And it is typically a softer material, so it can be scratched.
    Women who point with a sharp fingernail would certainly mess it up,
    probably causing a scratch each time. A fingertip would likely only
    give it a smudge.

    You clean them usually with a very lightly dampened soft cloth. No
    solvents, and I would avoid any cleaner the manufacturer didn't
    mention.

    Mitch, Dec 2, 2005
  6. mdmarshall

    Plato Guest

    hehe. The new lawnmower I bought earlier this year said NOT to play with
    the preset throttle control. Problem was, it was set *way* too low. Only
    needed a torx driver to get it to the proper speed.

    Plato, Dec 2, 2005
  7. mdmarshall

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    When a Dell technician replaced the LCD on my C640 laptop, he broke out a
    little bottle with fantastic in it, gave it a pump, and wiped off the
    screen. He told me that there was something about the chemical composition
    that was "good" for the LCD .... not sure i really believe him, but thats
    what he said.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Dec 2, 2005
  8. mdmarshall

    phrogee Guest

    I agree Mitch. Also, in a couple cups of lukewarm water, add a drop or two
    of liquid fabric softener. This solution will reduce static electricity a
    great deal. Clean screen with a very soft cloth.

    phrogee, Dec 2, 2005
  9. mdmarshall

    Mitch Guest

    Potentially, lots of things in such fluids could be good --
    anti-static, a low-glare coating, simple resistance to oils in the
    future -- but unless a chemical engineer gives the recommendation, it's
    meaningless.
    Gotta know the details before you know if it is good.
    Does it leave a film? Does it weaken or dissolve the existing coatings?
    Does it make the front layer cloud up? Does it help dust to stick in
    the future? Does it pass all of the colors from the pixels?

    This brings up the cleaners you can get in stores. How can the cleaner
    be the right cleaner, if it doesn't know what the front is made of, and
    what coatings it has?
    Cleaners are chemically active -- they have to be. So using the wrong
    kind almost has to be damaging.

    Mitch, Dec 2, 2005
  10. mdmarshall

    gary-e Guest

    I think your sister might be confusing her LCD monitor with a plasma
    display. As evidence that you can touch a LCD monitor, consider that touch
    screens are based on LCD technoloty and are designed to be touched on a
    regular basis.

    gary-e, Dec 2, 2005
  11. mdmarshall

    Doc Sava Guest

    Touch....clean them gently because you can cause damage and burn out
    pixels in the display. Once you burn out a pixel you'll see an annoying
    little dot of light that will never go away. It doesn't normally
    happen, but it certainly can.

    Doc Sava, Dec 2, 2005
  12. mdmarshall

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, my EVO LCD panel is a touch-screen, so clearly it has to be touched.
    It's nothing special -- just a touch sensor on a generic panel.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 2, 2005
  13. I saw a guy punch an LCD monitor screen and knock it over. He threw a football at another.
    Both monitors seemed to be okay afterward. Why did he throw the football at it? He said it
    was open.

    DaveJohnson12, Dec 3, 2005
  14. mdmarshall

    Don Taylor Guest

    On the subject of soft and potentially fragile soft LCD panels,

    I have one LCD that developed a single brilliant green screaming pixel.

    I thought a compromise might be to find a "safe" marking pen and gently
    put a dot over this pixel, to tone him down or just block him out.

    I've groped the net, looking for any experience or advice with this.

    Thus far I have found nothing. It is an Advan and has the usual soft
    front surface. I don't want something that dissolves the material.
    Maybe something like a "grease pencil"?

    Thanks

    Don Taylor, Dec 4, 2005
  15. mdmarshall

    Mitch Guest

    I've heard of people massaging stuck pixels back to life. Not sure of
    the technique, but you may find some experiences posted online.

    I saw a program once that was supposed to reset pixels, but I can't
    recall who made it. Actually, I think it had a number of different
    tools for fixing and finding problems in the monitors.

    Mitch, Dec 4, 2005
  16. mdmarshall

    BIG NIGE Guest

    I can vouch for this I once had an LCD with three duff pixels and i managed
    to massage away two of them.

    I was told to try massaging gently over the spot and near the edges
    (horizontally & verticall) opposite the duff pixels.

    I may have been lucky but only one was better than three. (I arranged a
    desktop icon over the remaining one so that most of the time it was
    invisible)

    BIG NIGE, Dec 4, 2005
  17. mdmarshall

    Doc Sava Guest

    There's no specific technique to massaging the pixels, just so long as
    you stay on the defunct pixels and try to work it into a complete death,
    making it easier on the eyes and not drawing so much attention. I've
    been in the business a long time and am astounded that those lcd
    monitors that where punched and used to catch a football weren't damaged.

    Doc Sava, Dec 4, 2005
  18. mdmarshall

    Top Guest

    Must have been the QB for Detriot!

    Top

    Top, Dec 5, 2005
  19. You may be right. There might have been some damage. I didn't see any but I
    wasn't examining them closely.

    DaveJohnson12, Dec 6, 2005