  1. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    Thanx, but no... *ALL* file associations were gone.

    Ghost, Nov 24, 2003

  2. You can do a repair install with the full XP disk, we do it all the time at
    work. When the install searches for a previous version of Windows you hit an
    "R" to do a repair install, it fixes all damaged files and settings, all
    data will be intact. Or you can also do a tandam install, load Windows into
    a different directory in back up the data from there, then wipe it and do a
    clean install.

    Hope this Helps,

    Jeffrey W. Roach, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    Well stun me baby!!!

    Post the instructions!!!

    lol

    Ghost, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Ghost

    RussS Guest

    Hey Ghost

    As an experiment I totally screwed the registry on my XP lab machine to see
    how I could repair it.
    With a good registry copy I could use a remote registry editor to sort it,
    but without a good known backup the only was was to run the XP install disk.
    To keep your current profiles and settings you need to go to the install
    option and then use the repair option rather than using the first repair
    option as that only brings up the console for manual repairs.

    RussS, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    RussS...

    Yeah, I know about that option (repair Windows installation)- but for two
    things... sometimes that option works, sometimes not- I am not sure why
    it works in some cases and not in others...

    also, sometimes that option does not appear, and sometimes it does- again
    I am not sure why. In this case, that option never was available to me-
    again, I do not know why...

    This was really the strangest thing I have ever seen.

    Ghost, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Ghost

    RussS Guest

    hmmmmmm - weirdness

    drop me a line on my work addy dood - russell ^ at ^ compel - of course that
    is co.nz

    RussS, Nov 26, 2003
  7. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    RussS... I surely wish you were not on the other side of the world... I
    think I could put you to good work right here...

    btw- you didnt hear about my latest tech fiasco.... I will post it
    seperately...

    Ghost, Nov 26, 2003
  8. Ghost

    MF Guest

    Check this article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312369

    The culprit could be a text file. If and when it is, the cure could be
    Service Pack 1, says MS, but MS always says that, except when it's SP
    2,3,4,5, or 6, which can be cured with 6a :). What they don't say, or what
    I didn't decipher, is whether the cure could be an XP SP1 boot CD, or
    whether SP1 had to be installed into the original installation.

    Mike

    MF, Nov 27, 2003
  9. Ghost

    phasedenergy Guest

    Hey everyone...I am new to this forum but I have been a reader of it
    for awhile.......

    Anyways this problem has all the earmarks of the RPC service having
    been disabled.....go into services and check...I would almost be
    willing to bet a vital body part that is what has
    happened.....unfortunately I have never come across any way to
    re-enable it as it requires the remote procedure call service to be
    running to do this (lol more microsoft screwery)...maybe there is a
    third party program that can be used remotely to do this(problem is in
    accessing that program fom the pc in question.....)
    Maybe a boot disk with the utility on it?

    I have found that the only way around it is as everyone is
    saying.....re-install windows (I really hate that but what choice do
    you have when there is no way around a prob?)...hopefully you have
    dealt with something like this (in some way shape or form) and if what
    I said is the case ,and you know a utility to fix it....you can post
    the result....I would love to know if this is something that can be
    dealt with without re-install.

    phasedenergy, Nov 15, 2004
  10. Ghost

    phasedenergy Guest

    Ummmm ok a year late lol.....guess next time I should read the date
    before jumping off the deep end.......

    phasedenergy, Nov 15, 2004