Total Commander 7.02a under Vista 64bit

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sobriquet, Nov 27, 2009.

  1. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Hi.

    Something mystifies me about using total commander under vista on a 64
    bit pc.
    When I go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\, there is no folder 'etc'
    there.
    When I go to the windows explorer, it's there.

    How come total commander doesn't show the folder, despite that I have
    the option enabled
    to display hidden and system files?

    I wanted to modify the hosts file at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
    to prevent annoying partypoker.com pop-ups.

    Does anyone know if this is some kind of compatibility problem and
    what the minimal version number is for an edition of total commander
    that is fully compatible with vista?
    Or perhaps some other alternative for the windows explorer?

    I've noticed that total commander also sometimes refuses to copy files
    that can be copied with the windows commander, probably because of
    weird characters in the filename. Sometimes I can't even copy/move/
    remove such files in the windows explorer.
    It would be nice if there was a single utility offering the
    functionality of total commander/windows explorer that is fully
    compatible with the filesystem so you don't run into such annoying
    issues with weird characters in the filenames.

    sobriquet, Nov 27, 2009

  2. sobriquet

    why? Guest

    That will be http://www.ghisler.com/ , thier total commander and not
    something of a similar name.

    Check site / upgrade?

    Total Commander 7.50 FINAL for Windows released!
    September 9, 2009: Total Commander 7.50 FINAL is available now! There
    are many new functions. The most important are:
    Would assume that's the security context TC is running under, it may not
    be the logged in user or the built in context Win Explorer uses.

    Online support / FAQ, user forum for the prodyct.
    http://www.ghisler.com/whatsnew.htm , mentions Vista Beta 2, x64 may be
    a different issue :)

    Total Commander 6.55 for Windows released!
    July 27, 2006: Total Commander 6.55 is now available for download. It
    contains many fixes, and now also works under Windows Vista beta 2. We
    recommend this update to everyone using Total Commander!

    Ah look a bit,
    http://www.ghisler.com/efaqgeneral.htm#opsys
    Q: Which operating systems are supported?
    A: There are 2 versions of Total Commander: 32 bit and 16 bit. The 32
    bit version runs on Windows 95, 98, ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
    Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. It also runs on the server
    versions based on these Windows versions. The 16 bit version runs on
    Windows 3.1.

    Perhaps they need to update the FAQ.

    Note there is no 64 bit version mentioned above.

    Search TC forum, 64 bit,

    Total Commander (English) full Win 64bit support to come?
    [ Goto pageGoto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 ] stigmaster 47 10150 Wed Nov
    11, 2009 8:48 am

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Nov 27, 2009

  3. sobriquet

    thanatoid Guest

    oups.com:
    MS Windows and their idiotic "improvements" is the problem. But
    Ghisler updates his program constantly so you just have to be a
    little patient. Also, check the forums.

    thanatoid, Nov 27, 2009
  4. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    I've tried the latest version (7.50a), but it has the same issue with
    certain folders not showing in total commander that I can see in the
    windows explorer.

    Odd.. I wouldn't expect the 64 bit version of vista to have such
    subtle differences in the ntfs filesystem compared to the regular
    system.

    sobriquet, Dec 1, 2009
  5. sobriquet

    why? Guest

    Nothing from the TC forums/help?

    Possibly not the FS, although it has changed. Depends since TC isn't
    64bit.....
    It's more likely (context of account) permissions, Win Explorer okay
    another FM not okay. Have you tried a 3rd explorer replacement?

    Have you logged in as the administrator and not just an adminitrator
    account?

    Me

    why?, Dec 1, 2009
  6. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Haven't tried any other FM.. any suggestions for a good 3rd explorer
    replacement?
    Just an account with administrator privileges.

    sobriquet, Dec 2, 2009