Total beginner drops knitting and tries networking

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Suzy, Dec 20, 2007.

  1. Suzy

    Suzy Guest

    Hi all

    I'm a complete beginner and half the abbreviations you may have used in
    reply would confuse me further, so please help with that in mind.

    I'm in Australia and currently have a Netcomm NB5 box which describes itself
    as a "Modem router". It connects my A100 laptop via a *USB* link (not an
    Ethernet one -- as no Ethernet on laptop) and works on ADSL to my local
    exchange (a few metres away).

    I have a built in wireless card (Atheros 802b) in my laptop, and I want to
    be able to roam round the house with it.

    Obviously I need a wireless router. Here are my questions:

    1 Do IU just connect the wireless router with the NB5 with an Ethernet
    patch cable.

    2 How can I make any URL or security settings when I don't have Ethernet
    connectivity with the laptop. Can I do it with the USB connection?

    3 Presumably there's 3 hops each with an internet address. i) ADSL to ISP
    ii) Wireless modem to ADSL (NB5). iii) Laptop to wireless modem?

    Thanks all. You may save me tearing my tresses out.

    Suzy, Dec 20, 2007

  2. Hi
    Since your device is already a Router you need to get a Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router and connect it to the single Ethernet port on the Modem/Router.
    You connected it as describe on this page.
    If connected correctly you would be able to use 3 wire computer and many
    Wireless computers with your current setting.
    Wireless Router as a Switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    P.S. Do not use the USB port anymore if you opt to the system as described
    above.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 20, 2007

  3. Suzy