Toshiba SD-4980, 5980, and V593 DVD players - no HDMI audio in bitstream mode?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Michael, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I tried a Toshiba SD-5980, and I liked everything about it except (1)
    it randomly froze on too many discs during playback, (2) it can't
    output 480i on S-video when set to 480p on component, and (3) when the
    DVD player is set to bitstream (or raw) audio mode so that the stereo
    can decode DD5.1 or DTS it doesn't output PCM audio over the HDMI port
    (so there's no sound to the TV).

    I searched the Internet to try to find out if either the Toshiba
    SD-4980 or SD-V593 (the VCR/DVD combo) is capable of outputting HDMI
    audio while in bitstream mode. I couldn't find any mention of this.
    Does anyone know?

    If no Toshiba upconverting player can do that, then I'll have to go
    with the $60 more expensive Panasonic S77 which is able to output 480i
    on S-video, 480p on component, and 1080i on HDMI simultaneously with
    audio on all 3 channels (PCM over HDMI) in addition to a DD5.1/DTS
    bitstream on the coaxial/optical.

    Does anyone know of any other upconverting HDMI DVD players which can
    simultaneously output all the same signals the Panasonic S77 can?

    Michael, Sep 26, 2005