Toshiba Satellite laptop...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DH, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. DH

    DH Guest

    I have this Toshiba laptop. It's a Satallite 2405-S201. I don't have the
    restore CD's and the CD drive doesn't work anyway. It became necessary to
    FDISK and FORMAT the hard drive and install Windows XP Pro from a
    non-Toshiba disk. To do this, I bought an adapter and plugged the laptop HD
    into my desktop computer, in order to have access to a working CD drive. The
    partition I setup on the laptop HD was a single FAT32 partition. The
    original partition was a single NTFS partition. Would this matter to the
    laptop?

    Windows installed normally and everything seemed to be okay. But, when I put
    the HD back into the laptop and turn it on I get a blue screen that says: "A
    problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to
    your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error
    screen......."

    Can someone tell me if changing from NTFS to FAT32 is creating the problem?
    Are there any utilities/drivers that I need to install?

    Thanks

    DH, Oct 12, 2003

  2. DH

    Stevo Guest

    FAT32/NTFS is not the issue here.. Doing it the way you have, XP has been
    set up using the hardware of the desktop PC.. hence the problems when you
    shifted it to the laptop which has quite different hardware... and without
    a CD drive you can't use the restore console to fix it.. you might be able
    to *copy* the XP CD to the hard drive and run setup/restore etc from there -
    but do it ON THE LAPTOP!!!

    Without a CD drive you are limited in what you do to fix this.. your best
    option would be to try an locate a suitable CD
    drive.. maybe through eBay? The clean the hard drive completely and intall
    XP from the CD..

    Stevo, Oct 12, 2003

  3. DH

    Miggsee Guest

  4. DH

    Paul - xxx Guest

    DH tried to scribble ...
    Stevo is quite correct here, and it's something I've also just done on an
    old Tosh CDS 4000.

    Use the adaptor with the laptop hd slaved to the desktop to do a full Fdisk
    and Format again. Copy an XP CD to the hard drive. Unplug everything, then
    re-install the laptop hd, startup and navigate to the folder where you saved
    XP and run setup.

    Works a treat .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Oct 12, 2003