Toshiba Satellite 4100XCDT Keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nemo, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Hi,

    I suspect that the keyboard on my Toshiba Satellite 4100XCDT laptop
    may have died. It started behaving strangely when I was reading
    newsgroups last night, i.e. messages would be marked read before I had
    read them, watch and keep marks would suddenly appear.

    Today when I started the laptop and tried to o a google search I
    noticed that something was very wrong with some of the keys. These
    are:

    If you press the 1 or shift 1 key nothing happens.
    If you press backspace you get ]
    If you press shift backspace you get }
    If you press Q you get 8
    If you press shift Q you get *
    If you press # or shift # you get carriage return
    If you press PgUp you get , (comma)
    If you press shift PgUp you get <
    If you press A you get i
    If you press shift A you get I
    If you press PgDn or shift PgDn you get a space
    If you press Z you get k
    If you press shift Z you get K
    If you press -> key (right arrow) you get `
    If you press shift -> you get ¬
    The tab key does not operate as tab (in notepad it does nothing), but
    in Forte Agent, which I'm using to write this it brings up the message
    "The addresses are OK".

    As far as I can make out all the other keys are working ok.

    There is a pattern for the Q,A and Z keys. If you press one of these
    keys you'll get the character that is on the key, which is 6 keys to
    the right and on the key to the right in the row above.

    This a dual boot machine and the problem happens with both Win2K pro
    and XP pro; both systems have the latest updates, I use EZ anti-virus
    with the latest updates and have scanned my system and didn't find
    anything. I have also run Adaware and Spybot S&D both with the latest
    updates, but they didn't find anything. I have also tried removing the
    keyboard from device manager and re-installing it; no difference. I
    have tried removing the keyboard and tried cleaning the connector, but
    this also made no difference. I have tried a couple of google searches
    without finding anything; I'll keep trying. I have also tried the
    Toshiba site for updated drivers and for any information about this
    problem, no luck.

    The problem doesn't happen with an external keyboard plugged into the
    laptop, which is how I'm writing this message.

    I suspect that either a driver on a sense line on the keyboard chip
    has died, but would like to confirm this, any help appreciated.

    Apologise for posting such a long message, but I wanted to give you as
    much information about the problem and what I had tried to solve it.

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Oct 27, 2003

  2. nemo

    Rick Merrill Guest

    You haven't accidently converted to DIVORAK layout, have you?

    Rick Merrill, Oct 27, 2003

  3. nemo

    nemo Guest

    Hi Rick,

    Thanks for your reply, but I've believe that I've managed to track the
    problem down. I managed to contact Toshiba Support who said that it
    was something to do with ackbc settings and said that I needed to
    contact with a company called Topaz in Reading who are a Toshiba
    Service Provider.

    I contacted Topaz and spoke to their support who said that it was the
    keyboard, I said about the ackbc settings and he said that unless I
    was getting an ackbc error message it was the keyboard. I had a look
    at the keyboard and noticed that one of the tracks on the connector
    had broken. So I have ordered a new keyboard and I am hoping that will
    cure the problem.

    Thanks

    nemo

    nemo, Oct 27, 2003
  4. nemo

    Rick Merrill Guest

    good job! Good luck. - RM

    Rick Merrill, Oct 27, 2003
  5. nemo

    nemo Guest

    I have just installed a new keyboard and that has fixed the problem.

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Oct 29, 2003