    Anyone know what I should do other than complain to Toshiba?

    Thanks!
    sean

    sean, Sep 23, 2003

  2. sean

    Steven Guest

    Dont know why OSX doesnt see it .It should see it as a untitled HD on
    the desk top.I would check the firmware on your camera and upgrade it
    if it isnt the lastest. Use this page to see.
    http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/dsc/supportcenter/M61m.html

    Steve

    Steven, Sep 24, 2003

  3. sean

    sean Guest

    Yes, this page suggests that I upgrade my firmware using a .EXE file and even
    states that I need to connect my camera to my PC/Apple/Mac with the USB
    cable. The fact of the matter is that this .EXE extension doesn't work on my
    Mac. So Toshiba has created a catch-all instruction for a PC only upgrade to
    my firmware. What idiots.

    Thanks Steve for the link though.

    regards,
    sean

    sean, Sep 24, 2003
  4. sean

    Mark Grebner Guest

    . . . A friend told me to just plug it in and iPhoto would
    The camera's not useless - but you may have to get used to swapping
    cards and reading the smartmedia in a card reader. I've always found
    the connections between cameras and computers to be problematic.
    Cards and card readers have gotten to be very cheap, and you never
    need to worry about finding the proper driver.
    Complaining to Toshiba is complaining to the wind. And the M61 has
    fallen so far off their radar screen that they probably couldn't help
    you - even if they wanted to.

    Toshiba makes cheap, relatively serviceable cameras. That's their
    market niche - a complete description.

    Mark Grebner, Sep 24, 2003
  5. sean

    sean Guest

    Interesting. To update my situation, I was able to use a friend's Windows
    computer to update my firmware. Unfortunately updating the firmware didn't
    change my situation with OSX. So I will investigate a Smartcard reader for
    it. Thanks for the advice! :)
    You are exactly right. I did complain to them and the guy didn't even seem to
    mind the fact that on the online description it states updating the firmware
    using your Mac, even though it won't work and they know it. They (Toshiba)
    said that they will not be updating anything on this camera. So within maybe
    two years this camera went from being brand new to cast by the wayside.
    TOTALLY. I probably will never buy another camera from this company again.
    Two years to obselete is outrageous.

    sean, Sep 24, 2003
  6. sean

    Mark Grebner Guest

    . . . So within maybe
    I don't know why, but Toshiba insists on releasing the same camera
    over and over, each time with a new model number and a different shape
    body. The PDR-M5 (2 megapixel, 3x zoom) was replaced by the M60,
    which was replaced by the M61, which was replaced by the M25, . . and
    finally (so far) the 2300.

    No new features, no improvement in the specs. Different batteries,
    and different storage media, but so what? It's kind of like the old
    days of Detroit creating "new" car models by changing the chrome. For
    a company mired at 1% of the U.S. digital camera market, it seems like
    a pretty stupid approach, but then, I'm not a huge multinational, so
    what do I know?

    Mark Grebner, Sep 25, 2003
  7. sean

    sean Guest

    Exactly! For a company to compete in this market, you must keep up with the
    changing operating systems, this is rule #1.

    From the beginning I had trouble with the M61. In Mac OS9, I had to make sure
    all my extensions were turned off except the Mac Base otherwise my OS would
    crash. So every time I loaded new pictures, I had to go into Extension
    Manager and change it to Apple Mac Base!

    Just for the records, I ordered a Lexar Smartmedia USB Reader for $8 off Ebay
    new. Thanks Mark for the recommendation, and yes, turning over the reading by
    a Smartmedia card was my only option for this camera, and hopefully this will
    save batteries. I also read Apple's recommendation for what iPhoto would
    read, and the Lexar was one of them. :)

    sean, Sep 26, 2003
  8. sean

    sean Guest

    I finally solved the problem. I ditched my Lexar CompactFlash Smartmedia
    Reader (RW009) and purchased a Kodak 6-in-1 Card Reader for $25, plugged it
    in, and it works.

    So for anyone out there using 10.2.6 and thinking of getting the blue colored
    Lexar RW009, you might not. Maybe of those of you out there that said yours
    worked, its possible we have a different version. That's all I can figure
    out. Cheers and thanks for the help.

    sean, Oct 2, 2003