    shut downs. Once again I try to run fdisk, it shut downs the machine.
    Any ideas are welcome?

    , Nov 26, 2005

  2. PC Guest

    Without actually seeing your machine the most likely diagnosis from your
    description is the hard drive is dying/dead.
    As you appear to have at least one machine still working (from this post) I
    would suggest the Universal Boot CD at:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Download the ISO, burn it to CD, Boot from it and use the Hard Drive tools
    from your drive manufacturer to test the drive.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 26, 2005

  3. A Brod Guest

    I would strongly suggest buying a new hard drive. Bad Sectors are as
    suggested by their name bad, and a sign of a failing/failed hard drive.
    Once you have the new hard drive you can reinstall windows. If you really
    need the data on the disk then there are utils which can help - not free
    ones though as far as I can find.

    Fact or fiction: A bloke went into a bookshop in Manchester and asked for
    a globe, after being shown where they were he complained that he didn't want
    one of the world he wanted one of Salford.

    A Brod, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Meat Plow Guest

    Might be set to silent boot or something similar. Should buy a new hard
    drive however. I have no faith in them once they develope bad sectors.

    Meat Plow, Nov 26, 2005
  5. Rosco Guest

    Meat Plow cried out
    Just had kinda a simialr problem with my Toshiba Satellite L25-1195s. I
    attempted to use the restore cd's which ended up reformating the hard
    drive then crashing and refused to go any further. It took sending the
    laptop to thier factory service center and finding out they do not do
    recoveries and speaking with several supervisors with Toshiba, but I
    finally got them to send me the factory recovery dvd set that never
    came with the laptop.

    Rosco, Nov 26, 2005