    1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?

    Thanks

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Zipper

    David Guest

    If this is the case there must be something wrong with your torrent
    client, your RAM, your harddrive or some other part of your system,
    there's no way you should have to do a recheck. Try ĀµTorrent, or Azureus.

    David, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Tried both of them, same with both. So it isn't the client.
    I dont think its the ram because surely memtest would have picked a
    problem up in 12 hours of thrashing the memory when on a torrent i get a
    hash failure every 10 minutes almost.

    I'll try a new network card that is probably the next logical thing to try.

    Wonder if it could be the CPU?

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006
  4. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Yes forgot to add that i ran memtest for 12 hours and no problems were
    found. On torrets I get a hash failure every 10-15 minutes generally.

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006
  5. Zipper

    David Guest

    What sort of connection are you using? ADSL? Interleaving off?
    If you host & seed a torrent from a machine on your network (Azureus can
    do this), do the errors occur?

    David, Nov 29, 2006
  6. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Yes interleaving is off on my ADSL connection plus I have a pretty
    horrid connection, my line quality is quite bad.
    Haven't tried that. I will try that now and see what happens. Thanks
    for the suggestion.

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006
  7. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Ok well I hosted some massive files and did downloaded accross the LAN.
    No errors at all.

    I tried downloading on another PC from the internet and got errors so
    its probably not the computers

    I am using smoothwall so I'm thinking its down to

    1) terrible internet connection (which i have) but could this give
    errors or does tcp error correction rule this out?
    2) faulty network card on the internet interface in the smoothwall box
    3) faulty adsl modem
    4) faulty ethernet cable? going from adsl modem to smoothwall box.

    What do you think is most likely out of that lot? :)

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006
  8. Zipper

    David Guest

    The internet connection, since you say the line's bad and interleaving's
    off (not a good combination). Get your ISP to turn interleaving on, see
    if that helps.

    David, Nov 30, 2006
  9. Zipper

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Check your hard disk SMART mode? for a log of your hd health.

    Also you say every 10 to 15 minutes? is a virus scanner kicking in?

    Craig Sutton, Nov 30, 2006
  10. Zipper

    Blue Guest

    Right then, as I understand things the bittorrent is all about getting a
    whole heap of slices delivered to your PC in fine condition. It has in
    built checks and tests each slice and if it fails then, Could we have
    another copy please.

    What screams out to me in this thread that, all is well on the first check
    but things fail on the second check.

    Can the Zipper, get another PC on his torrent connection for a GB or two
    blast and see what happens.

    We have an intermittant fault here yes?

    Blue, Nov 30, 2006
  11. Zipper

    steve Guest

    No. I might have one error every several downloads.

    max / max DSL in the Manawatu

    steve, Nov 30, 2006
  12. Zipper

    steve Guest

    More likely to be something on / in the network.

    The hash checking is to ensure the data downloaded is free of errors - and
    it isn't.

    That won't be your CPU.

    steve, Nov 30, 2006
  13. In my experience hash failures can be caused either from:

    1/ dodgy router/switch/NIC

    2/ dodgy sender.

    You shouldn't have to do multiple checks, as the hash check should be
    accurate. Which BT client are you using?

    Solutions:

    1/ power-cycle router/switch/NIC

    2/ ban dodgy sender from sending anything to you.

    IMHO the second is the much more likely.

    I'm currently in the process of downloading (over dialup) the last 220megs
    of a 3.5gig ISO DVD image (Open SuSE10.1r2), and I've only had 11 hash
    failures.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Nov 30, 2006
  14. Could it be somebody trying to run interference to prevent you downloading
    that material?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 30, 2006
  15. Zipper

    Dave Taylor Guest

    means nothing, did you do a loop of the tests.

    I agree it is not relevant to your problem, but memtest should be run for
    one loop at least.

    Dave Taylor, Nov 30, 2006
  16. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Thanks to everyone that replied.
    After many tests and trying different PC's and different adsl modems, I
    determined that it was the connection.

    I requested interleaving to be turned on and have since downloaded the
    same torrent with 0 hash failures.

    So I guess if you have a horrid connection interleaving is quite important.

    I called Telecom to get them to test my line as the exchange is only
    2.5km's from my house and yet my attenuation is at 62 which according to
    BT's guidelines should only be supplied with a 1 megabit adsl package.

    Telecom ran their tests and said can't find any faults not that I
    expected they would, they don't consider crappy ageing copper a fault.

    Hopefully when I move in the new year to my new house which is 500
    metres from a different exchange I will see much better quality, fingers
    crossed.

    Zipper, Dec 1, 2006