    The problem is that the client uses the tunnels for some traffic, but the conversations are still sent in clear.

    How can I force the client to use SOCKS (or HTTP) settings and not direct TCP connections so that the privacy of my conversations is ensured?

    Thanks a lot for your help.

    George Orwell, Apr 10, 2006

  2. How do you know this?

    If the client you're talking to is telling you that your IM
    "conversations" are coming in unencrypted then he's right. There's nothing
    at all Tor can ever do about it because Tor only encrypts to the end of
    the Tor network. From that point on everything is in the clear. Change
    clients all you want, fiddle with Tor for the rest of your days, it
    doesn't matter a bit.

    Tor isn't a privacy tool, it's an anonymity tool. The two sometimes
    overlap, but the problems can be very different. In your case you
    apparently need to hide some sort of content from prying eyes along the
    connection between IM clients. For that you need end to end strong
    encryption, and in theory no anonymity at all. Tor is simply the wrong
    tool. It can not give you what you want. Sorry.

    George Orwell, Apr 10, 2006

  3. George Orwell

    patoh8

    Joined:
    May 1, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    Well since ZoneAlarm and Tor clients are not compatible, would you happen to know any end-to-end encryption software that encrypts data sent over ANY transfer protocols which would not conflict with Tor?

    patoh8, May 1, 2010