Top 10 Digital Cameras for Serious Amateurs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gary_hendricks, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. gary_hendricks, Dec 13, 2004

  2. gary_hendricks

    Chuck Guest

    when you see the Sony 828 in a top ten, you know something is wrong... And
    the 10D is not available anymore.

    Chuck, Dec 13, 2004

  3. gary_hendricks

    Pete D Guest

    Yes, somewhat out of date, Nikon D70, Pentax *ist DS, Canon 20D, the new
    Minolta's, Fuji S2 Pro?? Sony's ?????

    Pete D, Dec 13, 2004
  4. gary_hendricks

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Looks dated to me.

    Phil Wheeler, Dec 13, 2004
  5. gary_hendricks

    Skip M Guest

    And it doesn't list the Nikon D70 at all...

    Skip M, Dec 13, 2004
  6. gary_hendricks

    RSD99 Guest

    IMHO:
    *Any* article whose title begins with the words "Top Ten ..." is probably
    not worth the cost of the paper (*or* electrons) it's printed on.

    RSD99, Dec 13, 2004
  7. gary_hendricks

    TAFKAB Guest

    Did you ever shoot with one?

    TAFKAB, Dec 13, 2004
  8. gary_hendricks

    Matt Ion Guest

    Matt Ion, Dec 14, 2004
  9. gary_hendricks

    Mark² Guest

    I'm a Canon guy, but that is just silly.
    No Nikon D70, or D100, and yet there are all these point-and-shoots???

    Ridiculous.

    Mark², Dec 14, 2004
  10. gary_hendricks

    Mark² Guest

    Have you looked at images taken with it?
    It doesn't have a lot to like in terms of noise.

    Mark², Dec 14, 2004
  11. gary_hendricks

    Pete D Guest

    It was after all the amateurs lists guys.

    Pete D, Dec 14, 2004
  12. gary_hendricks

    Mick Brown Guest

    I reckon that it's an old list, the fact that the D70 and 20D were missing
    tells me that this list is out of date.

    Mick Brown, Dec 14, 2004
  13. gary_hendricks

    Darrell Guest

    The list is over a year old, I suspect just about the time the Drebel was
    released. The site is for a small time retail store, so hardly an
    influential site.

    Darrell, Dec 14, 2004
  14. gary_hendricks

    Larry Guest

    Im pretty sure the word Amateurs in the link sets the tone for the cameras
    chosen.

    If the article was about serious PROS the choices would be different and
    wouldn't include the point and shoot cameras.

    Not ridiculous, just limmited in scope.

    Larry, Dec 14, 2004
  15. gary_hendricks

    Larry Guest

    There is nothing wrong with the Sony 828 at ISO 64 and ISO 100, but it IS un-
    useably noisy at higher ISO settings.

    I've shot over 7000 (7,820 to be exact) pictures with an 828, and I just know
    better than to use the higher ISO levels with it. Limiting??? Yes, very, but
    it still does very well for some uses.

    It is a list of cameras for AMATEURS, not PROS.

    Larry, Dec 14, 2004
  16. gary_hendricks

    Mike Henley Guest

    The list is way out of date.

    Mike Henley, Dec 14, 2004
  17. gary_hendricks

    Annika1980 Guest

    1. : Canon 20D

    2.- 10. : Who cares?

    Annika1980, Dec 14, 2004
  18. gary_hendricks

    TAFKAB Guest

    I own one, and the noise issue is way overstated. Noise at 64 and 100 is
    low, and the camera is more than usable up to 400. 800 is for those times
    when a bad image is preferable to no image. But the Sony is an excellent
    cam, and anyone who's actually used one for more than a few simple test
    shots would probably agree.

    TAFKAB, Dec 14, 2004
  19. gary_hendricks

    Mark² Guest

    With the 10D, 3200 is what I would call emergency use, but surprisingly
    decent...
    ....1600 is VERY usable,
    and 800 is spectacular for the ISO.
    400 is nearly noiseless.
    200 is incredible.
    100 is the cleanest image you'll find anywhere.
    The Sony just doesn't compare at all well when taken within context of the
    competition.

    Mark², Dec 15, 2004
  20. gary_hendricks

    empyrean Guest

    Whatever cameras have been mentioned might b gr8 but where is olympus..
    the C650,C700 .. with a 10x OPTICAL zoom and host of manual features
    can any amatuer afford to ignore this.

    empyrean, Dec 15, 2004