    ian field Guest

    Anyone know what Toolbar Crawler is?

    TIA.

    ian field, Apr 6, 2008

  2. ian field

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Apr 6, 2008

  3. ian field

    ian field Guest

    I have no idea what it is - that's why I asked.

    ian field, Apr 6, 2008
  4. ian field

    ded Guest

    So are you saying that over there in Camberley a couple of
    words just manifested themselves in your thoughts for no
    apparent reason, that there is no context or association you
    are making, just two words you phanttomly coupled together?

    ded, Apr 6, 2008
  5. ian field

    ian field Guest

    No - they phantomly appeared on my IE toolbar without any encouragement from
    me!

    ian field, Apr 6, 2008
  6. ian field

    ded Guest

    As others have pointed out, did you try a search engine - google
    gives plenty of results for Web Crawler.
    If you think it maybe dubious malware, do you have tools installed -
    do you have uptodate anti-virus software - do a full scan.
    I suspect you won't have spyware tools, so download Ad-Aware and
    Spybot search and destroy (both freeware), they will find plenty of
    infections to remove.
    And as you couldn't be bothered to use a search engine, I generously
    performed a cursory search on your behalf, it seems it could be a
    search engine itself of some type which you may well have installed.
    So try clicking on the mysterious Web Crawler and see what happens.
    Or as you have IE, I guess you have a version of windows so look in
    Add/Remove programs and see if there is an entry for you to remove
    Web Crawler, or check the program folder for an uninstall option.

    ded, Apr 7, 2008
  7. ian field

    ian field Guest

    The first thing I tried - none of the hits positively identified the icon
    that appeared on my IE toolbar.

    ian field, Apr 7, 2008
  8. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Spyware Terminator was blocking something at startup, but nothing identified
    it as toolbar crawler, once tc was uninstalled the alerts ceased.

    ian field, Apr 7, 2008
  9. ian field

    ian field Guest

    You shouldn't judge others by your own standard!

    ian field, Apr 7, 2008
  10. ian field

    Pennywise Guest

    Just ignore him, and disable ActiveX if enabled, that's most likely
    how you got this thing installed.

    Pennywise, Apr 7, 2008
  11. ian field

    ded Guest

    Whoa, hold on Ian, you post a vague and obtruse problem about
    two words - Toolbar Crawler, google reveals a lot about it.
    You reveal no context nor reason for your question, and now it
    transpires you did do a search, you made no previous mention of
    "Spyware Terminator was blocking something at startup", you
    just posted a question about two words. It was pointed out to
    you that google revealed it could be malware but was likely to
    be a type of search engine (unknown to me) and that it may
    have an entry in Add/Remove programs or an uninstall option
    in the programs folder, you then in your strange fashion reveal
    you removed it and that your spyware tool no longer alerts -
    which you never previously mentioned!
    Well thanks to our telepathic skills we were able to figure out
    a solution to your problem that you were totally incapable of
    conveying.
    No need to thank us, and you must excuse us now, we have
    transplants to conduct.

    ded, Apr 7, 2008
  12. ian field

    ian field Guest