    Of course I'll have the manuals to read for the camera and flash but
    are there any good reference URL's for learning photography basics as
    well as tips for this camera or flash?

    Doug, Aug 31, 2005

  2. Good for you Doug. I, myself, took the plunge two weeks ago with a
    Nikon D70 Nikkor 17-70 lens then also got the Nikkor 70-300 Zoom. Test
    snaps around the neighborhood proved satisfactory. I guess I will keep
    it. I will say this thought. Digital is not better, its just digital.
    I like my film but now that I have a worthwhile digi-camera I'm happy
    with the results.

    -gdg

    Mr. G. D. Geen, Aug 31, 2005

  3. Doug

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    Gadi Ben-Avi, Aug 31, 2005
  4. Doug

    ecm Guest

    Wet? wow. I'd hate to see what you call "thoroughly soaked".

    There are some website; there was a thread not too long ago that listed
    a bunch of places; I can't find it right now.

    I'd to recommend a book - "The Joy of Digital Photography" by Jeff
    Wignall; I borrowed it from my public library. It's a primer but has
    some depth; it gives you a decent overview of the technology, and has
    decent chapters on white balance, DOF and exposure. The author spends
    about 1/2 the book on composition, lots of good stuff. It finishes with
    some discussion on Photoshop technique; general enough that you'd be
    able to apply it to Paint shop, Elements, or even GIMP if you want. A
    worthwhile read for a novice, it's published in 2005 so it's quite up
    to date.

    ecm, Aug 31, 2005
  5. Doug

    Celcius Guest

    Celcius, Aug 31, 2005
  6. Doug

    Moe Guest

    Moe, Aug 31, 2005
  7. This looks awfully rudimentary. A sample:

    "When taking a photo, look at the horizon before clicking the shutter
    release button. Make sure the horizon line is not tilted and, for better
    composition, make sure it is not smack in the center of a photo."

    John McWilliams, Sep 1, 2005
  8. Doug

    Bill Funk Guest

    Seems to fit the OP's request:
    "Of course I'll have the manuals to read for the camera and flash but
    are there any good reference URL's for learning photography basics as
    well as tips for this camera or flash?"
    Keeping the horizon horizontal is, indeed, a basic of photography,
    especially as it applies to composition. And we all know about the
    'rule of thirds', meaning making sure the subject is not smack in the
    middle of the picture.

    Bill Funk, Sep 1, 2005