Took the M for a stroll

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by android, Dec 30, 2013.

  1. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, Jan 9, 2014

  2. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    You can do it any way you want, but a link in a sig - below the
    delimiter - should be (in my opinion) a general link to a home page or
    a website, but a link that leads to something you want discussed in
    the thread should be *above* the delimiter. That way the people who
    follow the responders have a way to open and see what the link leads
    to.

    Your Dropbox link has disappeared, but is retrievable. Mr nocaps says
    we can always follow a thread back to an earlier post, and we can, but
    it's a pain in the ass. I don't understand someone who harps on "let
    the computer do it for you", and then makes it difficult.

    My Agent works fine as far as dropping below-the-delimiter info, and
    that's what I want.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 9, 2014

  3. android

    android Guest

    The thread is dead. The link tells you were to find the files. It also
    happens to be in my sig. For now...

    That way the people who
    I'm apparently dense...
    The dropbox link works fine. Just tried it.
    So? That's why I have a proper delimiter to my sig!

    android, Jan 9, 2014
  4. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    How can the thread be dead when it continues? As here.
    One of the two of us doesn't understand what is going on, here. Yes,
    the link still works, but it doesn't appear in posts that respond to
    anything you've posted. It's not that the link has disappeared
    completely, but it has disappeared from view in posts responding to
    you.
    No one's questioning that. What's being questioned is where you
    should put the link: above or below.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 9, 2014
  5. android

    android Guest

    The thread is dead. I decided to move files to another location. That
    can be found in my sig...
    That's answered in the above.

    android, Jan 9, 2014
  6. android

    android Guest

    Thanks for your advice.

    android, Jan 9, 2014
  7. android

    android Guest

    that is something that i sometimes do... BUT NOT ALWAYS!!!

    android, Jan 9, 2014
  8. android

    android Guest

    That's so unfortunately true... However, Tony stated that he used Agent.
    A good choice for Windows Users if I've read them correctly...

    android, Jan 9, 2014
  9. android

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >In article <>,
    : >
    : >>
    : >> >I've moved the files associated to this thread... Link in sig.
    : >>
    : >> File, as of today. A photograph of a camera.
    : >
    : >There are folders to be found on that link, as you could see...
    :
    : That's easy for you to say. Yes, now that I'm looking for folders I
    : see what you mean. I've never seen that type of link before.
    :
    : Next time, don't put your link below your sig. You have a sig
    : delimiter, and when Agent readers open your post anything below the
    : delimiter is cut.

    Is that new in Version 7? I use Version 6 of Agent, and it doesn't cut the sig
    except in a reply to the article.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 12, 2014
  10. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The statement is either incorrect or not worded to mean what the
    writer meant. When you *open* a post to read, no version of Agent
    cuts out the sig line or what's below it. When you *reply* to a post,
    the sig line and anything below it is cut if the sig line is preceded
    by a delimiter.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 12, 2014
  11. android

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 15:42:21 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    : >wrote:
    : >:
    : >: >In article <>,
    : >: >
    : >: >>
    : >:
    : >: Next time, don't put your link below your sig. You have a sig
    : >: delimiter, and when Agent readers open your post anything below the
    : >: delimiter is cut.
    : >
    : >Is that new in Version 7? I use Version 6 of Agent, and it doesn't cut the sig
    : >except in a reply to the article.
    : >
    : >Bob
    :
    : The statement is either incorrect or not worded to mean what the
    : writer meant. When you *open* a post to read, no version of Agent
    : cuts out the sig line or what's below it. When you *reply* to a post,
    : the sig line and anything below it is cut if the sig line is preceded
    : by a delimiter.

    Unless you highlight a portion (or all) of the original message for inclusion
    in the reply. If the highlighted portion includes the sig, it (the sig) will
    be preserved.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 15, 2014
  12. android

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 08:50:41 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    : >wrote:
    : >:
    : >: >On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 15:42:21 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    : >: >wrote:
    : >: >:
    : >: >: >In article <>,
    : >: >: >
    : >: >: >>
    : >:
    : >: The statement is either incorrect or not worded to mean what the
    : >: writer meant. When you *open* a post to read, no version of Agent
    : >: cuts out the sig line or what's below it. When you *reply* to a post,
    : >: the sig line and anything below it is cut if the sig line is preceded
    : >: by a delimiter.
    : >
    : >Unless you highlight a portion (or all) of the original message for inclusion
    : >in the reply. If the highlighted portion includes the sig, it (the sig) will
    : >be preserved.
    : >
    : >Bob
    :
    : But why would you want to do that? A well behaved news reader will
    : have left the a line at the head of the article (as has done yours)
    : which makes clear the identity of the author of the article being
    : replied to. It will also chop off the sig line at the bottom of the
    : article unless (as in the case of your article) there is no proper sig
    : limiter at the bottom.

    You would want to do that if, for example, your reply included a comment on
    the sig.

    As for my signature, it hardly matters that I don't use a delimiter, as the
    sig itself is the same length as the delimiter would be. In the "old days",
    when I used a 4- or 5-line sig (I forget what the limit was) incorporating a
    graphic representation of my name and a social comment ("Everyone should adopt
    a homeless dog."), I did use a proper delimiter.

    The whole business about sig delimiters, like so much of Usenet lore, refers
    back to a time when bandwidth was much dearer than it is today. The rules and
    regulations, like today's occasional citations thereof, now seem amusingly
    quaint.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 17, 2014
  13. android

    Sandman Guest

    Well, for me it's just annoying that I have to delete some peoples
    signatures from my reply. It has nothing to do with saving bandwidth (which
    was a myth even back when we had 14.4k modems).

    It's just tiresome to always have to trim out the same content from the
    same persons.

    Sandman, Jan 17, 2014