    android Guest

    As said: I will bring out the xrite colorchecker and analyze that
    asphalt.;-)

    android, Dec 31, 2013

  2. android

    android Guest

    Tony is a good photographer spoke his mind. I appreciate that. I
    appreciate your opinions too.
    Maybe, but this is what you got today. ;-)
    I asked for feedback and got it. Thank you.

    android, Dec 31, 2013

  3. android

    Sandman Guest

    Tony in a nutshell. He just can't stop at "Why did you take it?", he has to
    lace the post with some personal insults as well. Why, otherwise he
    wouldn't be a troll, of course!

    Sandman, Dec 31, 2013
  4. android

    Sandman Guest

    A lot of things can be done in post:

    http://sandman.net/files/photos/android_treestumps.jpg

    But I would probably have gone for a different angle here. Maybe lower
    down, focusing on the first treestump and with a short focal plane, it
    could have been made a bit more interesting with the other stumps in the
    background.

    Sandman, Dec 31, 2013
  5. android

    android Guest

    Not bad. Did you have WW3 in mind???
    Maybe another day...

    android, Dec 31, 2013
  6. android

    android Guest

    I think that the question is fair. The fact is that the camera kept
    clicking so I assumed that I had some frames left!

    android, Dec 31, 2013
  7. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Nothing constructive can be said about the image. You suggested
    tweaks that changed some colors, but that's like changing ear hair
    color on a sow and saying you've created a purse. Better color, or
    different color, can't rescue this image. It remains an uninteresting
    scene with a slightly different color scheme.

    Constructive criticism is when you offer some way to improve an image
    that has something going for it in the first place...a different crop,
    lifting shadows from part of the image, less sharpening, etc. There
    was some good constructive criticism offered when Peter posted his
    osprey photograph. That was potentially a good photograph that could
    be improved in post.

    I'm not being critical of Android, and I know that he can produce some
    good work. This was not a good example, though, even for a test.
    Let's not be so sensitive here that we think we have to find something
    good to say about an obvious miss.

    My constructive input was in my later suggestion of photographing just
    part of that scene.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 31, 2013
  8. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    There's no insult to Android there. This is about a single
    photograph. In retrospect, it would have been better to say "Why did
    he post it?". We all take images that deserve immediate deletion
    after we upload. We all see a scene, think there might be something
    there, and find out that there wasn't when we upload and view the
    image.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 31, 2013
  9. android

    Mayayana Guest

    | I downloaded the original and found the path is
    | R=98, G=97, and B=13. That's kinda bluish-gray more than purple, but
    | I have trouble naming a color. I would expect an asphalt path to be
    | more black than it is. Black is 0-0-0.

    Did you perhaps mean B=113? 98/97/13 (H62610D)
    is something I'd call olive/bile. I find numerous hues
    in about the ratio of 98/97/113. I see that as a slate
    gray -- slightly bluish, as you say.

    It's an interesting issue. First there's the problem of
    different OS/monitors/monitor calibration. (I always
    reduce the gamma/brightness on my monitor because
    the default settings seem washed out.) Then on top
    of that there's terminology. (One person's peach is
    another person's coral.) Then on top of *that* there's
    the eye itself. I had a friend who once took up oil
    painting and was surprisingly talented. He painted odd
    colors, like purple pears in a still life, for instance. But
    the paintings looked right. It just looked like he had
    bought some purple pears to use for subject matter.
    It turned out that he was profoundly color blind and
    had never known it.

    Mayayana, Dec 31, 2013
  10. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Yes, it is B=113. My typo.
    I have a terrible time identifying color with words. "Olive", for
    example, could describe a range of green. Some might think olive is a
    dark green and some might think of it as a lighter green.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 31, 2013
  11. android

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 09:53:47 -0500, "Mayayana"
    :
    : >| The color that seemed strange to me was the color of the pathways. On
    : >| my screen they are almost purple. That may be an accurate rendition of
    : >| the color, but I don't know what material would result in purple
    : >| paths.
    : >
    : > Digital media are so frustrating that way. It all depends
    : >on display. I see what looks like dark gray mud. The colors
    : >look very accurate on my screen. (Especially if this was a
    : >late-day shot, with a bit of extra red light.) And I like the color
    : >of the wood. It's an intense, bright, playful "waterfall" of
    : >color in an otherwise drab landscape. I also like the tension
    : >of ambiguity: Is it destructiveness or industriousness that
    : >has struck an otherwise unremarkable locale? (Setting aside
    : >the woodsman's deductive reasoning and just looking at
    : >the image.)
    : >
    : > ... But maybe I'm reading too much into it. :)
    : >
    :
    : I downloaded the original and found the path is
    : R=98, G=97, and B=13. That's kinda bluish-gray more than purple, but
    : I have trouble naming a color. I would expect an asphalt path to be
    : more black than it is. Black is 0-0-0.

    Asphalt looks black when it's either new or wet. (Notice how much harder it is
    for old geezers like you and me to drive at night on wet pavement.) Otherwise
    it can be quite sensitive to the color of the ambient light. Or so it has
    always seemed to me.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 31, 2013
  12. android

    android Guest

    Colorblind people almost always have SOME sense of color. That means
    that they see a limited spectrum and perceive reality differently. Their
    world are different and colors relate differently to each other in it. I
    think that its fascinating unless they are obsessed with pesuing a carer
    as electricians or something like that...

    android, Dec 31, 2013
  13. android

    android Guest

    Colorblind people almost always have SOME sense of color. That means
    that they see a limited spectrum and perceive reality differently. Their
    world are different and colors relate differently to each other in it. I
    think that its fascinating unless they are obsessed with pursuing a

    android, Dec 31, 2013
  14. android

    Robert Coe Guest

    : In article <>,
    :
    : >
    : > > As it says. This is the first raw that I've processed from this
    : > > camera. I worked with LightZone. I've decided to go manual for now,
    : > > in part because of the slow AF on the 22mm. Feel free to pass your
    : > > judgment on this piece!
    : > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfbzqfamxm515gt/EOS M_0001-1.jpg
    : >
    : > A lot of things can be done in post:
    : >
    : > http://sandman.net/files/photos/android_treestumps.jpg
    :
    : Not bad. Did you have WW3 in mind???

    WW3 (the "Cold War") has already been fought. We're now in WW4, the perpetual
    "War on Terror". The next available designation for any further cataclysm is
    "WW5".

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 31, 2013
  15. android

    android Guest

    That's an opinion.

    android, Dec 31, 2013
  16. android

    Robert Coe Guest

    On 2013-12-30 16:48:01 +0000, Savageduck <[email protected]{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    :
    : > On 2013-12-30 14:13:49 +0000, Tony Cooper <> said:
    : >
    : >>
    : >>> As it says. This is the first raw that I've processed from this camera.
    : >>> I worked with LightZone.
    : >>> I've decided to go manual for now, in part because of the slow AF on the
    : >>> 22mm.
    : >>> Feel free to pass your judgment on this piece!
    : >>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfbzqfamxm515gt/EOS M_0001-1.jpg
    : >>
    : >> My only comment is "Why did you take it?".
    : >
    : > There had to be an exposure #1 on the camera, and there wasn't a baby,
    : > cat, dog, or street performer available.
    : >
    : >> Normally, I'd critique an image only if I see something good and
    : >> something that could be improved. I wouldn't comment on a photograph
    : >> that has no redeeming value.
    : >>
    : >> But, here you've invited comments and even said you "worked" on the
    : >> post. I can't understand why you'd bother.
    : >
    : > As Android said, it was the first RAW file from that camera that he has
    : > processed. If he hadn't taken that shot it might have taken months to
    : > find a subject worthy of that first shot.
    : >
    : >> Surely, there was some interesting photographable scene around that
    : >> day. The camera may have passed your test, but the operator of the
    : >> camera failed.
    : >
    : > As a first test image it is OK I guess. However, subject aside, there
    : > is a dull quality which might be a result of local light conditions. I
    : > get the color in the cut wood, but to my eye it just doesn't, for want
    : > of a better word, "POP".
    :
    : Just to try to illustrate what I am trying to say, I tried an
    : adjustment of the image for myself.
    : I opened the JPEG in PS and just used the "Camera RAW Filter" to make
    : some adjustments in the "Basic" panel.
    : Looking at the histogram the original JPEG is very much to the left.
    : So, I pushed the exposure up a bit, set "black" & "white" points, and
    : that moved the histogram slightly to the right. If you look at the
    : numbers next to the adjustment sliders anything other than "0" is an
    : adjustment I have made.
    : < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_490c.jpg >

    But how is that an improvement? If anything, it gives greater emphasis to the
    hazy, drab conditions and the dull, flat background. Despite their somewhat
    oversaturated look, I think I like Jonas's edits better.

    : ...and here is a comparison with the original JPEG. The difference is
    : subtle, but to my eye a needed tweak.
    : < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_491.jpg >

    I guess I just don't see it.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 31, 2013
  17. android

    Robert Coe Guest

    : In article <[email protected]>,
    :
    : > On 2013-12-30 16:48:01 +0000, Savageduck <[email protected]{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    : > said:
    : >
    : > > On 2013-12-30 14:13:49 +0000, Tony Cooper <> said:
    : > >
    : > >>
[...]
    : You've has chosen a brighter rendering. And sharpened it a bit more too.
    : I've risen the midtones, dodged the topleft and sharpened it a tad
    : harder. Do you like it better now?

    Erk!! Are you saying that you edited the image in place? Then as a relative
    latecomer to this thread, I literally don't know what I'm talking about. If
    that's the way it is, forget about my other comments; I disavow them all.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 31, 2013
  18. android

    Sandman Guest

    Your grasp on the English language is as loose as always.

    Sandman, Jan 1, 2014
  19. android

    android Guest

    I've retuned to the site with the colorchecker. Here's the CR2, jpeg
    straight out of DPP and a jpeg out of LightZone with a base profile.
    Have fun eyeballing! ;-)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5pvktbwyihi9a9j/1NFZeJqLaK

    android, Jan 1, 2014
  20. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    You are commenting on personal aspects, and the rest of us are
    commenting on the photograph.

    Who's the troll?

    Tony Cooper, Jan 1, 2014