Took the M for a stroll

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by android, Dec 30, 2013.

  1. android

    android Guest

    android, Dec 30, 2013

  2. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    My only comment is "Why did you take it?".

    Normally, I'd critique an image only if I see something good and
    something that could be improved. I wouldn't comment on a photograph
    that has no redeeming value.

    But, here you've invited comments and even said you "worked" on the
    post. I can't understand why you'd bother.

    Surely, there was some interesting photographable scene around that
    day. The camera may have passed your test, but the operator of the
    camera failed.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 30, 2013

  3. android

    android Guest

    There was some frames left on the roll.
    That's a comment!
    I found the color of the wood interesting.
    Yup!

    The camera may have passed your test, but the operator of the
    I'm stumped!

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  4. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The color that seemed strange to me was the color of the pathways. On
    my screen they are almost purple. That may be an accurate rendition of
    the color, but I don't know what material would result in purple
    paths.
    Well, log in with an interesting photo scene. Branch out and find
    something more deserving of your camera. Go out on a limb and leave
    the mundane uncaptured or leave the camera in the trunk.

    Sorry for barking at you.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 30, 2013
  5. android

    Mayayana Guest

    | The color that seemed strange to me was the color of the pathways. On
    | my screen they are almost purple. That may be an accurate rendition of
    | the color, but I don't know what material would result in purple
    | paths.

    Digital media are so frustrating that way. It all depends
    on display. I see what looks like dark gray mud. The colors
    look very accurate on my screen. (Especially if this was a
    late-day shot, with a bit of extra red light.) And I like the color
    of the wood. It's an intense, bright, playful "waterfall" of
    color in an otherwise drab landscape. I also like the tension
    of ambiguity: Is it destructiveness or industriousness that
    has struck an otherwise unremarkable locale? (Setting aside
    the woodsman's deductive reasoning and just looking at
    the image.)

    ... But maybe I'm reading too much into it. :)

    Mayayana, Dec 30, 2013
  6. android

    android Guest

    That would be asphalt... I'll bring the colorchecker along the next time
    since it's hard to get right. We also have rock thats naturally pink!
    I heard no dog!

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  7. android

    android Guest

    I think that that tree had to go. Half the picture is always in the
    observers head... :)

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  8. android

    android Guest

    It was not first taken with the camera but the first raw that I brought
    out with the eos utility and decided to process. Hence the number. I
    think that I'll go back to the cardreader....
    I didn't go for "POP" put I appreciate your opinion as well as the
    opinions of others that posted comments. I might try that later.

    Thank you all for sharing.

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  9. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Really? Months to find an interesting photo? I just took some test
    shots with a used Nikon D50 body and 26/80 lens that I picked up for
    pennies at a yard sale. I wouldn't post one, though, because they are
    just test shots.

    I don't normally stop at yard sales, but this guy had a tripod for
    sale that I noticed as I drove by. I was going to buy the tripod for a
    garage tripod so I don't have to bring in my regular one from the car,
    but it was not in good enough shape even for that.
    I'm not really bothered by the shot, but it did surprise me to see
    something so blah posted here. I know that Android is capable of
    coming up with something better.

    December has been an up-and-down month for me photographically. Some
    good Christmas shots of family members, but not much in the way of
    hobby shots. This one was taken yesterday in a downtown lakeside
    park. Not a particularly good composition, but the juxtaposition of a
    homeless lady and what she's holding was at least interesting.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-gHqWw6S/0/X2/2013-12-29-3-X2.jpg

    This kind of shot has to be done on the fly. Not much of a chance to
    compose or change settings because once she puts down what's in her
    hand there's nothing of interest. She did drop it right after that
    shot.

    Normally I go for front views with candids. Like this, which I've
    titled "Look Alikes" taken in the same park on a different day:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-HGpnhts/0/XL/2013-12-01-12-XL.jpg

    Tony Cooper, Dec 30, 2013
  10. android

    android Guest

    Thanks for your confidence. :)

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  11. android

    android Guest

    You've has chosen a brighter rendering. And sharpened it a bit more too.
    I've risen the midtones, dodged the topleft and sharpened it a tad
    harder. Do you like it better now?

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  12. android

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kft38f3pjfl89yt/EOS M_0001-2.jpg

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  13. android

    android Guest

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  14. android

    android Guest

    That maybe but it felt appropriate today...
    Interesting, I believe that the Region Mode i LZ can be used for that. I
    used RM but from the corners in to get the dodging effect.
    Thanks for taking the time to post and illustrate your opinions.

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  15. android

    android Guest

    Last edit: Should have aded some more sharpening.... Here's the last one.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa7tuhv9jeud93n/EOS M_0001-4.jpg

    Thanks all for your input.

    android, Dec 30, 2013
  16. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I am still unimpressed. It's just a jumble.

    That very top log seems to have a pattern in it that incorporates
    colors from a light orange to a dark orange to a reddish-brown. I
    think I might try a frame-filling close-up of that log with a bit of
    the log right below it to add texture. It would be almost an abstract
    image.

    But then I don't know what you were trying to accomplish in your test.

    When I was teaching my daughter the fundamentals of photography when
    she was a young teen, I'd take her somewhere - a field, for example -
    and tell her to stand exactly where she was and find a photograph. She
    could go for a wide shot or a close-up. We'd move up to a structure
    of some sort and do the same thing. She began to understand
    composition from just standing next to and close to a barn wall, for
    example, and shooting boards or corners of doors or windows.

    It's amazing how you can come up with something in any scene if you
    really look closely at the scene.

    This exercise helped her understand how to look for an image, and how
    to use the camera settings to affect that image. She'd get down to
    ground level and shoot a profile of a weed or thistle, and see how
    depth of field affected the image. She also learned metering when
    something was up against the sky and how it was different from the
    barn wall.

    It was more difficult in those days because we were shooting film. We
    couldn't see the results instantly as we can with digital. We
    couldn't view the EXIF superimposed on the image to know what worked
    and what didn't. We were looking at results days after the shoot and
    trying to remember the conditions.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 30, 2013
  17. android

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I downloaded the original and found the path is
    R=98, G=97, and B=13. That's kinda bluish-gray more than purple, but
    I have trouble naming a color. I would expect an asphalt path to be
    more black than it is. Black is 0-0-0.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 30, 2013
  18. android

    android Guest