Too many bad sectors

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Emrys Davies, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    I have W98 SE, OE6 and IE6 and also a 20GB hard drive with 16.8GB of
    free space.

    My computer is 31\2 years old.

    I have two Windows 98 SE Boot Disks and because they are a few years old
    I decided to make another one.

    However, after completing 60% I had the message "Setup cannot properly
    initialise the disk that you inserted".

    Error: 'Too many bad sectors. Click OK to continue'.

    I scanned (Thorough) and defragmenter (got a clean bill of health) but
    with the same result as above.

    Any ideas please.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Throw that floppy in the garbage as it is toast....;o) Is it a Memorex floppy, BTW? They are
    terrible. I would use a new floppy.

    @}-}-------Rosee, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Rosee',

    No, it is a brand new Sony, MFD, 2HD, IBM, formatted. I also formatted
    it myself and I tried several others from the same box, just in case.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Do you have a different floppy drive with which you can test? My first suspect
    would be the box of floppies could be bad. They are not very dependable media
    anyway. I just threw away a half a box of floppies last week, but they were
    Memorex. Out of twenty floppies 11 were unusable. Sony usually has good media,
    but I guess you could get a bad batch. Eliminate your floppy drive also. Sorry I
    can't be of any more help. Thunder-boomers and I will probably have to shut
    down. If I disappear, then that will be the case......;o)

    @}-}-------Rosee, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Rosee',

    You are right. I have just tried an old Imitation 2HD floppy and it
    worked.

    I only bought the Sony's about two weeks ago so I will be taking them
    back very promptly.

    Thanks a lot.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Aug 4, 2003
  6. .....killed two birds with one stone!.....;oD

    BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    @}-}-------Rosee, Aug 4, 2003
  7. LOL!!! I guess I WAS lost on it, but I get it now.....;oD

    @}-}-------Rosee, Aug 4, 2003