    :ports on these hubs? (I imagine it would be the same on any brand...)

    Looks like you want IEEE 802.5b-1993
    http://www.key-net.ch/techsite/ieee/files/802.5.htm

    Walter Roberson, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Program ended abnormally on 14/11/2003 05:19, Due to a catastrophic
    Sutto error:
    For a home lab, this will probably do fine, but the 8238s had serious design
    flaws and IBM quickly discontinued them, so I wouldn't install that on a live
    network. They work fine, but they are very sensitive to power fluctuations and
    if a devices tries to insert at the wrong speed, the only way to re-enable the
    port is to physically disconnect and reconnect the cable from that port.

    Francois Labreque, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Walter Roberson

    Sutto Guest

    Hi All,
    I have 2 x 2500's (2502 & 2513) and I just scored a token ring hub.

    The hub have is an IBM 8238 Nways Token Ring Stackable Hub (RJ-45). I want
    to connect my routers to this hub. Does anyone know the pinouts of the RJ-45
    ports on these hubs? (I imagine it would be the same on any brand...)

    I have some blank DB-9 to RJ-45 adaptors, I want to wire these so I can use
    normal ethernet patch leads.

    The Cisco site lists the router DB-9 interface as follows;

    1 - Receive
    3 - +5V
    5 - Transmit
    6 - Receive
    9 - Transmit

    Pins 2, 4, 7 and 8 are ground.

    Thanks in advance...

    Cheers,
    Sutto

    Sutto, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Walter Roberson

    Sutto Guest

    Hi Walter,
    Thanks for the quick response! The link you provided didn't provide any
    actual reference to 802.5b-1993??? Anyway, you pointed me in the right
    direction and I was able to find some info that got me going...

    Thanks again for you help!

    Cheers,
    Sutto

    Libes

    Sutto, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Walter Roberson

    Sutto Guest

    Hi Francois,
    Thanks for your post, and you're right, it's for a home lab.

    I have a couple of PCI and ISA IBM NIC's for my PC's so I have enough gear
    to tinker around...

    You seem to be reasonably familiar with these devices so you may be able to
    help with another question;

    The STATUS/SYSTEM continuously flashes ON and OFF, and so do all of the port
    indicator LED's (simultaneously). Do you know what this means as it seems
    IBM have removed most of the useful docco for this model off their site? Do
    you know where I could find an online user guide/manual for this model?

    Once again, thank you for help.

    Regards,
    Sutto

    Sutto, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Program ended abnormally on 14/11/2003 15:52, Due to a catastrophic
    Sutto error:
    Hmm... I haven't used them in 6 years, so my memory is a bit iffy on the
    subject. I can think of two possibilities:

    1) The 8238s came in two different models, there was a full-blown unit, that
    could work on its own, or an expansion unit that would only work when
    daisy-chained to the main unit. If I remember correctly, the expansion unit had
    "-AE" appended to the model number. Maybe this is what you got, in which case,
    there's not much that can be done.

    2) it does not have a valid firmware.

    For firmware downloads, check the following link (watch out for the line-wrap!):

    http://www.networking.ibm.com/suppo...66c0001798a9/85ea0d72128456ba85256612006d797c

    For documentation, you could also Google for the "3Com OnSemble 4216 token-ring
    hub" as it was basically the same thing. But don't try to use its frimware as
    it's not compatible.

    Francois Labreque, Nov 17, 2003