    Black Locust Guest

    GIVE IT A REST ALREADY! This isn't even the right group for this crap.
    Go find a god damn HD forum to hype up HD video in.

    Black Locust, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Black Locust

    Allan Guest

    Toho, Toei back Sony's Blu-ray next-generation DVD format

    Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 02:47 JST

    TOKYO — Major Japanese filmmakers Toho Co and Toei Co will support the
    Blu-ray Disc technology developed by companies led by Sony Corp and
    Matsushita Electric Industrial Co as the next-generation DVD format,
    the Sony-Matsushita camp said Tuesday.

    The Blu-ray Disc format is competing with the HD DVD format to become
    the technological standard for next-generation DVDs. Toshiba Corp, NEC
    Corp and other companies developed the HD DVD format. (Kyodo News)

    http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&id=327862

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Black Locust

    TB Guest

    Yeah, this group is where the laserdisc newsgroup was in 1998.

    T.B.

    TB, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Black Locust

    Allan Guest

    OH... some one getting upset with all the HD DVD news out there.
    Little tip, this is a DVD news group, and HD DVD is the future. So
    no matter how far your head is buried in the sand... and no matter how
    much you whine about it... that isn't going to change.

    So... don't want to see my post about the "future"... do something
    constructive for once... and learn what a "kill file" is in your news
    group reader.

    Or... just shut up.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 16, 2005
  5. Black Locust

    Allan Guest

    From: Paul DeMara ()
    Subject: IT'S NOT OVER YET, DVD VS LASER

    Newsgroups: alt.video.laserdisc
    Date: 1996/08/15

    FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

    I find it very fascinating to see how easily many people will write of
    a very good piece of technology like the laser disk. Laser disk is
    currently the ONLY easy to get high resolution full CD audio quality
    consumer video media.

    From: Richard M. Anderson ()
    Subject: Re: IT'S NOT OVER YET, DVD VS LASER

    Newsgroups: alt.video.laserdisc
    Date: 1996/08/20

    Who's forcing you to buy the movies all over again?
    Keep your laser player and discs and if DVD is any good,
    buy it when it comes out. It's pretty obvious DVD won't be
    much better than laser (if at all) therefore you would not be
    under any personal pressure to re-buy all your movies.
    sinc;
    Rich

    From: Roy Jonker ()
    Subject: of course DVD will fail

    Newsgroups: rec.audio.high-end
    Date: 1996/07/30

    DVD (for video) will fail for the same reason that Laserdisc has
    failed: there are not enough people willing to spend money on Video to
    the extend that they spend money on Audio. The reason is simple:
    whereas we humans can hear music over and over again, most people have
    a much lower maximum repeat rate for anything visible. I guess that we
    remember pictures (too) much easier than sounds.

    Over my lifetime I will probably hear Beethoven symphonies hundreds of
    times, without ever getting bored by the music. The same is true for
    thousands of other pieces of music, from Sergeant Pepper to la
    Traviata. But there are only a handful of films that I have really
    wanted to see more than two, three times. And then only with intervals
    of several years.

    It escapes me how the Industry can fail to recognize this fundamental
    difference between sounds and pictures.

    Roy Jonker

    From: Mark Smith ()
    Subject: Why DVD will fail!

    Newsgroups: alt.video.laserdisc
    Date: 1997/03/24

    Because you can't buy the damn movies!!!!!

    So I go drop $1000 on a DVD compatible player and now I find out that
    only a half-dozen cities are AUTHORIZED TEST CITIES and store in those
    cities are NOT ALLOWED to sell discs outside of their local area.

    For me this means a 3 hour trip to Chicago to pick up a movie -
    uh....no!

    And what's worse is Ken Crane tells me that this is the case until
    OCTOBER!!!

    So not only do we have limited movie releases of questionable quality
    - now the studios are making it impossible to buy the friggin things!

    I hope DVD falls on its ass and takes down every electronics store in
    the country that has stopped selling LD players.....

    From: ()
    Subject: I HOPE DVD WILL FAIL IMMEDATELY !! DVD IS A *^§°ç

    Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd
    Date: 1996/07/29

    DVD is a stupid thing...

    ... it will never replace LDs !!

    It could replace VHSes.. maybe .. anyway DVD will be unwritable .. so
    a lot of users will use VCRs instead.. and so.. why buying a unit that
    costs more than twice a LD and has 1/4 of the resolution of a LD ??!

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Black Locust

    Black Locust Guest

    No, I'm getting upset because you're intentionally posting this shit to
    upset us. And it's working, but more so because it's obnoxious, not
    because I give a shit about Blu-Ray.
    You should take some of your own advice there.

    Black Locust, Feb 17, 2005
  7. Black Locust

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    ....snip the remainder to this post and the half dozen or so others in
    which laser disk owners predicted the demise of DVD ...

    The trouble with this analogy is the level of market penetration. While
    I realize that personal experience is not always a good indicator, I'll
    point out a differences between LD's and DVDs.
    1) I own a LD player, as does my cousin. I think one other aquaintance
    of mine has an LD player.
    2) Everybody I know has a DVD player.
    2a) I don't know anyone who has more than one LD player. NOT including
    computers, we have 6 in my house.

    dick
    -- but we may be slightly obsessive.

    Dick Sidbury, Feb 17, 2005
  8. Black Locust

    Justin Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote on [Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:08:53 GMT]:
    I'm also willing to guess that you all have a lot more DVD movies than
    you ever had laserdiscs.

    Justin, Feb 17, 2005
  9. Black Locust

    Allan Guest

    I am not posting News to the usenet to 'upset' anyone... it's what I
    like to do. Been doing it since I hit the internet.... and will
    continue to do so no matter how much you whine about it.

    Don't like to read my posts.... that's cool.... it's called a
    killfile... please, use it. Everyone is tired of you crying about what
    I post here.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 17, 2005