To: Jack (MVP-Networking): Found a fix to My Network Name question

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jim Becker, Nov 23, 2007.

  1. Jim Becker

    Jim Becker Guest

    Jack: I know you help lots of folks here, but I did want to let you know I
    found a work around for my subject problem.

    Here's my original post:

    What would cause Vista to all of sudden rename my wireless connection? What
    it's done is added a 2 (number 2) to the name. For example the name of my
    wireless might be 'MyWireless' and now Vista is calling it 'MyWireless 2
    (MyWireless). The name is fine else where and the connection appears to be
    good. I removed the network connection, re-booted and came back in (had to
    re-enter the key code) and the number 2 is still there.

    What I ended up doing was do a search in the registry for the name of my old
    router. I found it, but right next to a line or two below was and entry
    dealing with my current router and it's name. There I could see the number
    '2', as in MyWireless (2). I simply removed the number 2. Re-booted and
    now when I do the mouse over and go to the Network and Sharing Center, all
    signs of the number 2 are gone and my connection works as good as it always
    did.

    Nothing earth shattering, but that number 2 bugged me and I had to figure
    out how it get rid of it.

    Thanks!

    Jim Becker, Nov 23, 2007

  2. Hi