    the DS3, under normal circumstances ... but this would be such a waste ...

    TIA,
    Papi

    papi, Mar 26, 2005

  2. On 26.03.2005 18:34 papi wrote
    So what is your normal need? A T1 or a DS3? If it is more a DS3 then get
    rid of the T1 and get another DS3. If it is more T1 than you might want
    to get rid of the DS3. Otherwise just turn on your BGP and watch how
    traffic settles.

    BGP was in no way designed to do traffic engineering. It's a
    reachability protocol. It's only metric is AS hop.

    Of course there are several ways to trim you BGP. But doing this with a
    T1 and a DS3 is a complete waste of time.

    Arnold
    btw: Who told you that you will be able to use both links?

    Arnold Nipper, Mar 26, 2005

  3. papi

    papi Guest

    1. I have right now a setup with two ISPs, with different fiber runs
    and POPs, belonging to two major carriers (for redundancy), each with
    a T1, running "simple" BGP
    2. I am upgrading one of the T1s to a DS3
    3. The initial thought was to run everything over the DS3, and have the T1
    to the other provider as a "backup"
    4. While planning for "3." above - I thought of putting the remaining T1,
    actually, to some use, instead of letting it got "to waste" (i.e. no
    interruption in the DS3 ==> no use for the T1 ==> waste)

    Papi

    papi, Mar 26, 2005
  4. On 26.03.2005 19:54 papi wrote
    Again: if you really need more than a T1, upgrade the second to DS3 as
    well (or fractional DS3). If not you will run in big trouble when your
    DS3 fails. In that case most customers find it better to have no
    connectivity instead of a very lousy.

    Of course you could also engineer the T1 to allow only premium traffic
    and traffic anything else on the florr. Generally this is PITA.

    Nopte buna, Arnold

    Arnold Nipper, Mar 26, 2005
  5. papi

    theapplebee

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    USA
    Unfortunately, BGP is not good for load-sharing by traffic ratio.
    If you have unequal bandwidth link, you need to play with your route announcement for in/outbound traffic.
    Yes, it is pain in the butt

    See below article about Cisco BGP configuration

    http://showipbgp.com/bgp-configurations/cisco.html

    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    theapplebee, Sep 8, 2009