    to be slowing down my PC

    TIA

    Barry

    Barry, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Barry

    Patch Guest

    Yes

    Patch, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Barry

    Jerry G. Guest

    You should be able to delete the LOG files, only. If you see TMP files that
    are Windows, Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express that are more than a
    month old, you should be able to safely delete these as well.

    What you can do as a protective measure before deletion, is to move all
    these files to a new folder that you can make temporarily. After you see
    that the system is working well, you can then delete them permanently. This
    is also in case you accidently delete something you need.

    I always tell our clients to never delete anything until after testing for a
    period of time. I tell them to move the files, to a work folder, or to
    rename the file to a name that the system will not recognize to use. For
    example, if you have a file called IE5459837263.TMP, you can rename it to
    IE5459837263old.TMP. With the "old" inserted in to the name, the system
    will have no way to know that it is there.

    Sometimes when making copies or moving files, I insert an underscore, and
    then put the date afterwords, to have a record of the date that the file was
    moved. You can find your own method to use for this type of maintenance.

    We found that if the TMP files get excessive in Outlook, or Outlook Express,
    this will slow the system down to some degree. If this is happening, we
    found that the complete system may infact become unstable. The TMP files are
    usually not very large, and we have seen a few thousand of them on systems,
    that were no longer being accessed. But, when running they are scanned by
    the active software that created them, as part of its internal lookups for
    operations. If there are too many, the software, or operating system may
    infact do an error timeout, before it can operate, even though there is no
    coruption of these files. Also, when scanning thousands of files per
    operation, this puts a large tax on the system resources.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Can I safely delete every TMP file on my PC?
    Looking at C/Windows/Internet Logs, I seem to have many and believe them
    to be slowing down my PC

    TIA

    Barry

    Jerry G., Dec 4, 2003
  4. Barry

    Boomer Guest

    Hi
    Read Mikes Basic computer maintenance

    Boomer, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Barry

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Jerry G. said:
    Have you never tried clicking a couple of buttons to clear the Temporary
    Internet Files folders?
    It would save an awful lot of waffle and bullshit.

    (snip broken, excessive sig)

    Brian H¹©, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Barry

    Phil® Guest

    You are a frigin genius!

    <snip>

    Phil®, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Barry

    Phil® Guest

    Phil®, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Barry

    Boomer Guest

    Well, Hey!

    How have you been? You're been spending too much time at the beach
    and not enough here. ;-)

    Though it is nice to see you, at least, a few times a month. :)

    Boomer, Dec 4, 2003
  9. Barry

    Phil® Guest

    All's well, Boomer. :)

    The weather has been wonderful here.
    This time of year South Florida is nice.

    All the best to you and yours this holiday season.

    Phil®

    <snip>

    Phil®, Dec 4, 2003
  10. Barry

    Boomer Guest

    Lucky you to be there and not here!

    May you and yours have a wonderful holiday season also!! :)
    And stop by more often. :)

    [snip]

    Boomer, Dec 4, 2003
  11. Barry

    d w a c o n Guest

    The ones that are in use will not be deletable, so it is safe.

    d w a c o n, Dec 6, 2003