TLS, SSL, SSH

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by James, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. James

    James Guest

    What's the difference between TLS, SSL, and SSH?

    Since that's a huge question, I'll narrow down the possible answers by
    explaining what I already (think I) know:

    SSL: A public key cryptography tunneling protocol, and various internet
    services can be piped through it. Ports 115, 563, 995, 465, and 443 are
    the standard ports for SSL-encrypted FTP, NNTP, POP3, SMTP, and HTTP
    sessions. Some clients have SSL support built-in (all web browsers, and
    some NNTP and e-mail clients). Clients without built-in SSL support can
    still use SSL via "SSL proxies" like Stunnel (i.e. [email protected] -->
    127.0.0.1:stunnel_port --> smtp.myisp.com:465). To my knowledge, there
    is no username/password authentication built into the SSL protocol itself.
    Authentication is left up to the daemon receiving SSL connections. I.e.,
    if connecting to an NNTP server on port 563, user authentication would
    happen *inside the SSL tunnel* with the normal NNTP "AUTHINFO" commands,
    just like if a non-SSL port 119 NNTP connection were underway.

    SSH: Another public key cryptography tunneling protocol like SSL, but
    unlike SSL, SSH has username/password authentication is built into it.
    All SSH-capable clients connect to port 22 (SSH) on the destination server
    to negotiate the username/password stage, and if successful, the clients
    then tell the SSH daemons what it wants to connect to. I.e., an SSH-aware
    SMTP client would connect to mail.myisp.com:22, send my username/password
    to the SSH daemon, and then tell the SSH daemon "I want you to connect to
    mail.myisp.com:25 on my behalf and proxy it through to me".

    TLS: I don't have a clue. :)

    James, Mar 22, 2005

  2. James

    Mr Floppy Guest

    James wiped, flushed and then wrote into 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzz............

    --
    Mr Floppy

    Mr Floppy, Mar 22, 2005

  3. James

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You're in the wrong NG asking these questions - try comp.security.firewalls.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 22, 2005
  4. James

    why? Guest

    It isn't , it's the text you put down that is.
    Really?

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SSL.html
    a protocol

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SSH.html
    a program for remote login

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/TLS.html
    a protocol

    otherwise www.google.com

    Me

    why?, Mar 22, 2005
  5. James

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Apr 28, 2006
  6. James

    Charles Blake

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Difference among TLS, SSL, and SSH

    Let me try to brief about the difference among TLS, SSL, and SSH?

    Here are they:-

    The expansion for TLS is Transport Layer Security.
    TLS is the successor to the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).There are two layers of TLS, one is TLS Record Protocol and the other one is TLS Handshake Protocol.

    TLS record uses data encryption standard(DES) to provide connection security.TLS record can also be used without encryption.The TLS Handshake Protocol allows the server and client to authenticate each other and to negotiate an encryption algorithm and cryptographic keys before data is exchanged.
    http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid14_gci557332,00.html

    The expansion of SSH is Secure Shell.
    SSH uses encryption and message authentication codes (MACs) to maintain the confidentiality of the data between two machines.
    http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

    The expansion of SSL is Secure Socket Layer
    SSL is an Internet protocol which uses encryption and SSL secure sockets layer in order to supply data confidentially for service and data integrity amid a client and a server transaction with Internet security and privacy. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)can also, as an option, provide peer entity authentication amid the client and the server with secure SSL validation of digital certificates. SSL is layered below HTTP and above a transport protocol (TCP).To Know more about SSL click on the following link
    SSL HTTP

    Charles Blake, May 7, 2007