    Why in the devil didn't they release an anamorphic widescreen
    version???? I watched it the other day in disbelief.

    Dan

    Dan Musicant, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Why in the devil didn't they release an anamorphic widescreen
    Because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything.

    Seriously, at the time of Titanic's release, Fox was still recovering
    from their Divx hangover, so the effort put into their DVDs was not yet
    consistent.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. bossig, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Seriously, at the time of Titanic's release, Fox was still recovering
    Although, for the film's release in the USA, the DVD release for the same
    country was handled by Paramount Pictures.

    I think we must ask the original poster's country of origin in order to
    identify which studio released the movie in question in his country.

    Titanic was released by Paramount in the USA while Fox released it in Canada.
    The movie's copyright is jointly shared by Viacom and News Corp. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Dan Musicant

    jayembee Guest

    Well, that's nice, but Fox had nothing to do with the Region 1 DVD.
    Paramount has the North American distribution rights to the film (with
    Fox owning the rights in the rest of the world), and they are the ones
    who produced and released the DVD.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Dan Musicant

    Jay Stewart Guest

    Reinhart

    The Canadian version, though non-anamorphic, is a fine looking presentation.

    Jay Stewart, Jan 27, 2004
  6. I think he's talking about region 1, and Titanic is under the Paramount
    label on region 1

    Titanic was released in the pioneer days of DVD where many studios would
    port the laserdisc transfers over to DVD instead of minting new
    anamorphic transfers. Less people had anamorphic capable TV's back then
    and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Jan 27, 2004
  7. Crap. My apologies, everyone. Honest mistake.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. bossig, Jan 27, 2004
  8. Dan Musicant

    Rutgar Guest

    All of this is fine and dandy, but it doesn't explain why Titanic
    hasn't been "Re-released" with an anamorphic transfer as many other
    early DVD's have.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Jan 27, 2004

  9. It's Paramount, what else do you need to know? It took them this long to
    get Trek 6 out in anamorphic and even longer to get the final Trek
    movies out.

    The original Trek series is packaged in a way that is long outmoded and
    overpriced.

    Paramount is a heel dragger or Mission Impossible one would alos be out
    in anamorphic.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Jan 27, 2004
  10. Dan Musicant

    Chris4V Guest

    isnt there a Titanic petition out there?

    Chris4V, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Aaron J. bossig demonstrates he's right on the tip with:

    What *ANOTHER* one?..

    Max Christoffersen

    Max Christoffersen, Jan 30, 2004
  12. Dan Musicant

    Eric R. Guest

    Yep. Paramount's home video record has always been half-assed. They
    were half-assed on laserdisc and now they're half-assed on DVD.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jan 30, 2004
  13. Dan Musicant

    Dan Musicant Guest

    :
    :Although, for the film's release in the USA, the DVD release for the same
    :country was handled by Paramount Pictures.
    :
    :I think we must ask the original poster's country of origin in order to
    :identify which studio released the movie in question in his country.
    :
    :Titanic was released by Paramount in the USA while Fox released it in Canada.
    :The movie's copyright is jointly shared by Viacom and News Corp. - Reinhart

    I'm the OP and I'm in Berkeley, CA. My disk says
    www.paramount.com/homevideo on the case. It's digitally mastered, THX
    certified but NOT anamorphic and it's a shame, IMO.

    Dan Musicant, Jan 30, 2004
  14. Dan Musicant

    Dave Navarro Guest

    Probably so they can release a new version with that and additional
    features and get more money from us.

    Of course, I bought it as soon as it came out. And as soon as they
    release a new anamorphic version, I'll buy that too.

    --Dave

    Dave Navarro, Feb 2, 2004
  15. Dan Musicant

    Mike7883uk Guest

    Why in the devil didn't they release an anamorphic widescreen
    At the time Fox werent releasing everything 16x9 enhanced, Abyss was released
    the same way. It was either a Cameron request, or just the way FOX /Paramount
    decided to release it at the time. Titanic Special Edition rumblings have been
    happening for a while, it will happen, just when I dont know.

    Mike

    Mike7883uk, Feb 2, 2004
  16. Dan Musicant

    joel Guest

    "Dave Navarro" <> a écrit dans le message de | In article <>,
    | says...
    | > This is the biggest blockbuster of all time. It cost the most to make
    | > ($200,000,000), and grossed the most ($3.9 billion).
    | >
    | > Why in the devil didn't they release an anamorphic widescreen
    | > version???? I watched it the other day in disbelief.
    |
    | Probably so they can release a new version with that and additional
    | features and get more money from us.
    |
    | Of course, I bought it as soon as it came out. And as soon as they
    | release a new anamorphic version, I'll buy that too.
    |
    | --Dave

    as soon as you buy the new version, please send to me for free
    the old one.

    joel

    joel, Feb 2, 2004
  17. Dan Musicant

    Dave Navarro Guest

    I don't think so. <grin>

    My old DVD's either go to my brother, or if he doesn't want them, they
    go to my old high school (along with old software and books).

    --Dave

    Dave Navarro, Feb 3, 2004
  18. Are you that poor that you can't afford the $9.99 that the current
    disc is going for? That's pathetic.

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Feb 5, 2004
  19. Dan Musicant

    Cernovog Guest

    If you were in touch with your feelings like Leonardo, you'd KNOW why.

    Cernovog, Feb 6, 2004
  20. Dan Musicant

    joel Guest

    "Brian "Demolition Man" Little" <> a écrit dans le message de | From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU joel <>!
    | Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is Pink?"
    | > as soon as you buy the new version, please send to me for free
    | > the old one.
    |
    | Are you that poor that you can't afford the $9.99 that the current
    | disc is going for? That's pathetic.
    |
    | --
    | Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    It was a joke!