Tips on a new rack build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raul, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Raul

Raul

Hello My name is Raul and I was the desktop support person for my company. recently the company has decided to buy a rack to house the networking equiptment and have put me in charge of this, so now im the new Network admin. I have a background in physical cabling so i am somewhat familar. This will be my first rack build though. The questions i had are these.

1. Do i need to ground this rack with a bus bar and grounding cable? Is this a must. My rack does have grounding wire on both front and rear doors.

2. Right now there is no money in the buget to buy a rack UPS. so each device is connected to its own APC UPS. will this be ok for now until a sutible UPS can be bought?

3. Also the rack came with a PDU. i would like to know what is a good UPS the will work with this model of PDU? ( all the networking equiptment specs are below)

4.When i shut down the main server. Will i have to start all the services up again manually or will they start up when i turn the machine back on?

Any help or advice will be welcome

Server Cabinet model

APC sx AR3100 server rack / Apc 7562 PDU

(No UPS at the moment need quote on which model works)
    (will i need grounding wire)

Equiptment housed in the rack

Dell PowerEgde R510 2u Server

Dell PowerVault 114t 2u Tape backup

Imageview 1v2004 video camera 4u server

Digital dining 2u Server

Dell rackmount LCD keyboard and mouse

Lynksis SLM224p switch and a SSG-5 Juniper VPN FW ( shelf mounted )

Raul, Jan 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Raul

mattjonesits

1. Do i need to ground this rack with a bus bar and grounding cable? Is this a must. My rack does have grounding wire on both front and rear doors.

I never have but probably a good idea if you can.

2. Right now there is no money in the buget to buy a rack UPS. so each device is connected to its own APC UPS. will this be ok for now until a sutible UPS can be bought?

Depending on the spec of the APC UPS this is probably ok too.

3. Also the rack came with a PDU. i would like to know what is a good UPS the will work with this model of PDU? ( all the networking equiptment specs are below)

Can't help here. I normally plug direct into the rack UPS.

4.When i shut down the main server. Will i have to start all the services up again manually or will they start up when i turn the machine back on?

Services should restart automatically. Can guarantee that though

mattjonesits, May 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question