Tips for a smoother running computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cokopelli, Mar 31, 2008.

  1. Cokopelli

    Cokopelli Guest

    Cokopelli, Mar 31, 2008

  2. Cokopelli

    Lookout Guest

    Lookout, Mar 31, 2008

  3. Cokopelli

    Cokopelli Guest

    Hey lookout what is that suppose to mean?

    Cokopelli, Mar 31, 2008
  4. Cokopelli

    ded Guest

    Hi Cokopelli, may I ask you a few questions......
    You are subscribed to googlegroups and you've created your own
    googlegroup, but do you realise that *this* group is not a google group?
    24hoursupport.helpdesk is a usenet newsgroup.
    usenet existed long before google and will survive long after google has
    been dismantled by Chinese scientologists.
    The vast majority of users who subscibe to this usenet group won't be
    doing it via google, and there are many who have configured to block
    google posters - most in this group will never see your posts let alone
    visit your own google group.
    Your google group is only accessible via google, it is not part of usenet
    so the majority in usenet will remain totally unaware of your group.
    And hopefully not over stressing the point by repeating, but you posted
    via google groups, very few users in this usenet group will see your post.
    So a tip and an obvious hint for you, before you hurl yourself into the
    whirl of offering PC tips, the first thing to do is learn a few basics
    yourself, so using your precious google do a search on the following
    terms:
    usenet
    newsgroups
    NNTP servers and clients
    "usenet spamming from google accounts"

    ded, Mar 31, 2008
  5. Cokopelli

    ded Guest

    I just had a look at your site, oh dear oh dear.....
    Another one with posts from himself and nothing else on the site,
    and yet another one who advocates registry cleaners as a cure all.
    I thought at first that maybe English wasn't your mother tongue,
    but locator is 70% certain that Fenton, Missouri, United States is
    your hometown, so why is your English and grammer so poor?
    Your google group is awful, sorry, but it's best to tell you it as
    honestly as possible.

    ded, Mar 31, 2008
  6. Cokopelli

    Mara Guest

    <snipped traceback to Schlund>

    I just checked my e-mails from Supernews. All of them came from Supernews
    servers except that last one, which traces back exactly like yours, to Schlund.

    Ewwwwwww.
    So did I. And since Newsproxy works with Inet, things are looking much better.
    :) Inet uses Cleanfeed too, which should help. But I do wish I could filter on
    more headers than Inet has available. <sigh>

    Mara, Apr 1, 2008
  7. Cokopelli

    Aardvark Guest

    How about 'Dickheads'? 'Dimbats'? 'Dipsticks'? Or that old chestnut,
    'Dopes'?

    Aardvark, Apr 1, 2008
  8. Cokopelli

    Aardvark Guest

    Hmmmmm. I see now. I'll think deeply about this and get back to you. A
    week next Thursday suit you?

    Before I go, I just had a thought. What about 'Dunces'? Technologically
    that's what they are, aren't they.

    Aardvark, Apr 1, 2008
  9. I know plenty of d words. But Gropers *aren't* Technological Dickheads or
    Technological Dipsticks. They're *un*technological. That's the problem.
    They *are* Technologically Substandard Dimbulbs, but the construction I
    inherited, "STD" constrains me to that word order.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2008

  10. "Dunces" implies that they could keep the pointy hat on.

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    On the USA presidental elections? All I can say is that the future of the
    world may boil down like shown in the 1996 phrophetic Will Smith movie,
    'Independence Day'; and at last check, Clintons are draft-dodgers, and
    Obama was too busy becoming a lawyer rich off blacks to be bothered
    with military concepts; thus, McCain is the best because he can jump
    into a jet and shoot down any invaders we may have to defend against!

    http://www.jonregen.com/audio/WORDS_MUSIC_2006-Finished_Wi.m3u

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 1, 2008
  11. The problem I stated remains.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2008
  12. Cokopelli

    Mara Guest

    Here's what it uses:

    list overview.fmt
    215 Order of fields in overview database.
    Xref:full

    But I can't get it to filter on the From: line and can't figure out why. (Just
    got back from the dentist so my brains are a bit scrambled.)
    Life is almost good again. :)

    Mara, Apr 1, 2008
  13. Cokopelli

    Aardvark Guest

    Ever see a Paslode nail gun? One of those would ensure the pointy hat
    stayed in place, even at a jaunty angle if preferred.

    Aardvark, Apr 2, 2008
  14. Right. That illustrates my point about Newsgroups being expensive because
    the use of XHDR is necessary to filter on them, and that means another
    download.
    Neither can I.

    But I thought you stated an issue with with Xref.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2008
  15. Cokopelli

    Mara Guest

    Nah, no issue, really. I was just trying to figure out why Xref: would work
    sometimes but From: won't for me, is all. It has to be something I'm doing, but
    it can wait for a better time.

    Mara, Apr 2, 2008
  16. You Brits must encourage more initiative in your school systems
    than is cultivated here in the USA. Ever since Brown v. Board of
    Education, if an instructor proffers to a student a pointed object,
    said student exclaims "Die, white Satan..." and stabs the teacher.
    Then the NAACP buses in thousands of jobless welfare recipients
    headed by activist-preachers-without-congregations and they march
    around saying something about stuff that happened 400 years ago,
    and the "kid", sans the pointy hat, gets ice cream and a free pass
    until he grows up and gets busted for raping an 85 year old white
    woman and stealing her social security check... "Life's so unfair,
    and it's all whitey's fault!"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_v._Board_of_Education

    The turning point... it took about 15 years to be fully implemented
    nationwide - a timeframe that exactly coincides with the USA public
    school system declining from 3rd in the world, to 3rd from the bottom.

    So, all I'm saying is, please, let's don't insult the 'Dunces'.

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 2, 2008