timeouts on vlan

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ed Muller, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. Ed Muller

    Ed Muller Guest

    I have an unusual problem that I can't seem to pintpoint. Devices on
    the LAN are occassionally losing their connection to other devices,
    randomly. All clients have the latest antivirus, there is a scanmail
    on the exchange server and no spyware that I have found running on any
    PCs. Originally clients were connected through a HP 2324 switch to
    each other. After switching out the HP for another HP, the issue
    continued. I am now in the process of replacing the HP with a catalyst
    2924. This serves only the local VLAN (which previously did not have a
    VLAN assigned except after reaching another catalyst). General design
    is below:

    printers, mgmt via catalyst 192.168.9.5

    servers & clients via HP 2324 no IP

    end of local network

    catalyst - VLAN 102 (and other VLANS) 192.168.9.1

    catalyst 192.168.9.2

    dotq trunk

    2600 router 192.168.9.9

    firewall/internet 192.168.3.3

    The first device in the list (HP 2324) is being replaced with a
    catalyst so I can better diagnose the problem (catalyst IP
    192.168.9.5). No other VLANS are experiencing any difficulties.

    Clients/printers currently connected to the new catalyst 192.168.9.5,
    are able to ping other devices on the catalyst without timeouts, but
    still timeout on occassion to devices on the HP switch (connected via
    FastE to the catalyst), and vice versa. I have turned on broadcast
    filtering and have seen no errors of any kind on the interfaces
    themselves. The only SH PROC CPU on the 192.168.9.5 switch which
    appear to be higher than average are Broadcast Storms (4%) and Port
    Status Proc (13%).

    What can cause timeouts to devices randomly that is not already
    accounted for?
    What are the best practices for determining the cause?
    What sniffer might best help to trace the cause?
    Can this be generated by a bad NIC on one of the PCs?

    Thanks for any assistance,
    Ed Muller
    CCDP, CCNA

    Ed Muller, Oct 31, 2003