Time to upgrade to wireless-n router

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by bob, Jan 13, 2011.

  1. bob

    bob Guest

    I've got a Linksys wireless-g router with 2 laptops with wireless-n, an
    HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless printer, and an old desktop with a wirelss-g
    PCI NIC. I'm finally replacing the desktop and want to replace all the -
    g stuff with -n stuff. I have Road Runner 15mb down/2 mb up service.

    1)I work from home most days of the week, so reliability is very
    important to me. A lot of my access is via VPN, so I also have the
    overhead of the VPN software to take into consideration. I'd also like
    to be able to see what wireless devices are accessing the router. I'm
    currently using WPA-2 and limit the number of devices that can connect
    to my current router to the number of devices I own. I do not limit
    access to specific MAC addresses given the ease of MAC address cloning,
    the limit on the total number of devices I allow to connect to the
    router, and the pain of setting up all the MAC addresses in the router.
    What wireless -n router do you recommend?

    2) Should I get a -n NIC for the desktop that uses something other than
    the PCI interface or will the PCI interface handle all the -n NIC can
    throw at it given the 15/2 service through Road Runner? If so what
    wireless-n NIC would you recommend?

    Thanks!

    Bob

    bob, Jan 13, 2011

  2. bob

    ken Guest

    Wireless-G is higher speed than your internet connection, so using
    wireless-n will not be of any benefit to your online activity.

    If you are transferring data between your computers then wireless-n
    would be beneficial.

    ken

    ken, Jan 13, 2011

  3. bob

    bob Guest

    So all I'll be doing is draining and filling the router's buffers more
    quickly:)

    Is the same true for a PCI bus interface vs. one of the newer ones; the
    speeds I get from my ISP are so slow that I might as well stick with a
    PCI interface NIC?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    bob, Jan 14, 2011
  4. bob

    ken Guest

    Most NICs are either 10/100 Mbps (usually older computers or cards) or
    10/100/1000 Mbps (usually called Gigabit cards), so yes, as long as you
    are using 100 or 1000 Mbps you are way over most ISP speeds. Faster is
    better if you are transferring data between computers, but for online it
    doesn't help. If you are using it to transfer data between computers you
    need to have them connected using a gigabit switch since most routers
    are only 10/100.

    ken

    ken, Jan 17, 2011
  5. bob

    bob Guest

    So as far as the NIC's interface into the PC, should I stick with a PCI
    interface or do I want to get a NIC with a newer interface?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    bob, Jan 19, 2011
  6. bob

    Char Jackson Guest

    For me, two of the primary determining factors are what kind of
    slot(s) you have available on your motherboard, (PCIe and PCI), and
    whether you plan to upgrade to a newer motherboard in the foreseeable
    future. To help future-proof things a bit, use PCIe if you have both
    kinds of slots available.

    Char Jackson, Jan 19, 2011
  7. bob

    ken Guest

    I would agree, except that almost all new motherboards have gigabit
    built onto the motherboard and so the need for a NIC addon card is rare
    (unless you need additional network connections and then you could get a
    motherboard with two network connections built in).

    ken

    ken, Jan 19, 2011
  8. bob

    Char Jackson Guest

    Good points, Ken, thanks. As I look around my home and office, all of
    my computers do indeed have either one or two Ethernet ports on the
    motherboard.

    Char Jackson, Jan 19, 2011
  9. bob

    bob Guest

    I have both PCI and PCIe available. It's a new system I'm building from
    the ground up.

    Bob

    bob, Jan 21, 2011
  10. bob

    bob Guest

    Ken,

    I'm looking for a wireless NIC.

    Bob

    bob, Jan 21, 2011
  11. bob

    Char Jackson Guest

    Are you open to using a USB device or even a wireless router
    configured as a wireless client bridge? The disadvantage of a PCI/PCIe
    card is that the antenna is usually located behind the computer where
    the signal is partially blocked by the computer itself. The other two
    solutions allow you some flexibility in placement of the antenna.

    Char Jackson, Jan 21, 2011
  12. bob

    ken Guest

    Rosewill does make a couple of NICs that have cables going to the antenna:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166020
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166060

    ken, Jan 21, 2011
  13. bob

    Char Jackson Guest

    If I can be nitpicky, I like solutions that place the radio next to
    the antenna and the cable goes from the radio to the PC rather than
    having the cable between the radio and the antenna. (There's a whole
    lot less cable loss in a USB or Ethernet cable than there is in an RF
    cable.)

    For my tastes, there's too much cable loss in designs like those
    Rosewill NICs, but the bottom line is that if you have enough usable
    signal, they should still work. If the situation is borderline,
    though, they may not work as well or perhaps may not even work at all.

    Char Jackson, Jan 22, 2011