    working. Do I need to reuse the installation disc
    a second time to get it going or is there something easier to try?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

    stonej, Apr 26, 2009

  2. You don't specify which model you have but most of them have the ability to
    manually reset them to factory default. This is different than just a quick
    boot or reset for most routers. Check your manual to see how to reset the
    box to factory default. Many have you hold in the reset button for 10 to 15
    seconds while powering the router on but without the model it's just a
    guess.

    Provided the router does return to factory default you will need to make
    sure your PC is set to get it's IP address from DHCP. Once that works you
    can go in and configure it to what ever you want.

    Lightning can burn out a router as it comes in via the phone line, even if
    it does not fry the cable modem.

    Good luck with this.

    GlowingBlueMist, Apr 26, 2009

  3. stonej

    stonej Guest

    The model is Netgear WGR614v7 at least that is what is on the disc.
    sadly the manual is missing, there is also no
    reset button on the box.

    stonej, Apr 26, 2009
  4. You can download a copy of the manual in PDF format at this link from
    Netgear.
    ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgr614v7_ref_manual_20apr06.pdf
    The manual might take a while to download as it is around 154 pages.

    The reset button on your model is on the back of the unit, close to the
    antenna. It may be recessed and need to be pressed with something like a
    bent paper clip.

    Here is an excerpt from the manual in question...

    To restore the factory default configuration settings without knowing the
    administration password or IP address, you must use the Default Reset button
    on the rear panel of the router.

    1. Press and hold the Default Reset button until the power light blinks on
    (about 10 seconds).

    2. Release the Default Reset button and wait for the router to reboot.

    If the wireless router fails to restart or the power light continues to
    blink or turns solid amber, the unit may be defective. If the error
    persists, you might have a hardware problem and should contact technical
    support.

    I have read of others that needed to power on the unit while holding in the
    reset button for 10 to 15 seconds before releasing it if just plain pushing
    the button for the same length of time does not cause it to do a reset.

    GlowingBlueMist, Apr 27, 2009
  5. stonej

    smlunatick Guest

    The "button" is a "small" hole on the back of the router (near the
    LAN / power cable jacks.)

    Also, you can find the manuals off Netgear's web site.

    If you can not re-set the router to factory default then the
    thunderstorm has "fried" it. You might need to get a newer router and
    "junk" your current Netgear one.

    smlunatick, Apr 29, 2009