Thunderbird: One thing at a time...

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Janice P., Jan 2, 2007.

  1. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    I just spent an hour and a half on the phone with my local ISP tech support
    trying to figure out why a certain e-mail to a certain two-letter top level
    domain was being refused by their SMTP server. I'm embarrassed to admit
    that it took me and two tech support guys that long to figure out that my
    ancient e-mail client was tacking a space onto the end of the e-mail
    address, apparently because it doesn't like two-letter domains.

    Anyway, that's just chat. I get that way. The point is, I despise my
    e-mail client and have been using it with teeth gritted for several years,
    and now I want to dive headfirst into Thunderbird. Everyone I know that
    uses it loves it, and I think I can learn to love it, too.

    Still chatting. I better get to the point. I installed Thunderbird 1.5.0.7
    and was immediately faced with a serious issue: Forced white backgrounds.
    There is no other single "feature" of a piece of software that I hate as
    much as I hate a glaring, eyeball-burning white background. I'm going to
    have to find a fix before I can even consider spending time with and
    learning Thunderbird.

    So I shopped for skins until I found one that's gaudy and opulent and a
    little too full of itself, but it does have a black background and green and
    gold trim, and I found it pleasant to look at. But when I open a new
    Compose window, there's the white background. I can't get around it. So
    please help me get past this because if I can't, I won't be going any
    further with Thunderbird.

    On the other hand, if I can get rid of the white background, my next gripe
    will be the compose window opening in a totally new and separate window that
    takes another slot on the Start bar, but I'll bet there's an easy fix for
    that, even if it's buried in obscure settings. Surely the folks who provide
    me with tabs in my browser will provide me with a way to keep everything in
    one window in my e-mailer, right?

    Hopefully -

    J.

    Janice P., Jan 2, 2007

  2. Janice P.

    Miller Guest

    *Janice P.* wrote on 02.01.07 20:54:
    [..snip..]
    At least i know four additional settings to tweak the colors in
    Thunderbird. You've got to add them to the according files in your
    Thunderbird profile.

    In user.js (located directly in the profile folder,
    if the file doesn't exist you've got to create it):

    // Color of the messagepane //
    user_pref("browser.display.background_color", "#D1D1D1");

    // Color of the compose-window //
    user_pref("msgcompose.background_color", "#CCCCCC");

    In userChrome.css (located in the chrome folder of the profile,
    if the file doesn't exist you've got to create it):

    /* Color of the threadpane */
    #threadTree treechildren {
    border: none;
    background-color: #C2C2C2 ! important;
    }

    /* Color of the folderpane */
    #folderTree treechildren {
    background-color: #C2C2C2 ! important;
    }

    Of course you can change the colors (#......) for your needs.

    HTH, M.

    Miller, Jan 2, 2007

  3. since she didn't say what background colours, there is the quotecolors
    extension: http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/

    Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo, Jan 2, 2007
  4. Janice P.

    Miller Guest

    *Janice P.* wrote on 02.01.07 20:54:
    You could try this extension:
    http://level.s69.xrea.com/mozilla/index.cgi?id=20031012_bird_diary
    (I won't. ;-)

    cu, M.

    Miller, Jan 2, 2007
  5. There is an option under Tools->Options that allows you to change the
    background color of messages. I advise you to search through all of the
    tabs to get a feel for the options that are available.

    AFAIK, there is no way to prevent the compose window from taking a slot
    in the taskbar.

    Mumia W. (on aioe), Jan 2, 2007
  6. Janice P.

    Miller Guest

    *Mumia W. (on aioe)* wrote on 02.01.07 22:37:
    Do you mean Tools -> Options -> Display -> Formatting -> HTML-Messages
    -> Background color?

    AFAIK it *only* affects the background color of sent HTML-Messages, not Plaintext.
    Assuming from the OP i guess, Janice is hurt by the glaring white background
    of the message-pane and the (plaintext-)composing-window - just like me. ;-)
    The only way to manipulate it yet, are some user.js- and userChrome.css-"Hacks".
    Correct me if i'm wrong.
    ACK. Never a bad idea.

    cu, Miller

    Miller, Jan 2, 2007
  7. Janice P.

    Miller Guest

    IMHO she did mention what background colours she meant:

    Miller, Jan 2, 2007
  8. Ooops, you're right, she did. Then using the css file or the use.js is
    the only way.

    Sorry, but quotecolor does't do that. It only affect the messge pane.

    Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo, Jan 2, 2007
  9. It affects plain text messages too.
    Both my message window and my composition window are pink right now, and
    I've not touched userChrome.css yet.
    Okay, I did :)

    My system: TB 1.5.0.7 / Debian Linux 3.1

    Mumia W. (on aioe), Jan 3, 2007
  10. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Oh, that's a shame. That lets me out. I can't stand it, to have three
    whole new windows and start bar buttons open, if I happen to be working on
    three e-mails. When I go away to do something else and want to come back, I
    have to peck at the Start bar like a hen for a pellet until I find the right
    one, or sit and Alt-Tab myself senseless. At least in this hateful and
    bug-riddled Eudora, when I'm in the mood for e-mail, I go to my e-mail
    client, and there I find everything in one window. Until I hear Thunderbird
    behaves this way, I won't be asking any more tech questions about it because
    I'm uninstalling it now.

    Thanks for all the helpful replies regarding color, everyone. I really had
    my hopes up. What a crying shame.

    J.

    Janice P., Jan 3, 2007
  11. Janice P.

    Miller Guest

    Goodbye.

    Miller, Jan 3, 2007
  12. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    No need to be snippy, Miller. I meant what I said, I appreciated the
    efforts to help me. I just won't use a client that opens a whole new window
    for every e-mail. That's my prerogative. And I still have a lot to learn
    about Firefox, which gets better every time I visit here :)

    J.

    Janice P., Jan 3, 2007