  1. In Thunderbird how do you enter the login ID and password for
    newsservers that require authentication?

    Thanks in advance.

    Mike the Canadian, Aug 23, 2005

  2. Mike the Canadian schreef:
    Normally, you should have given your login ID (aka username) when
    setting up the account. You can do this in account setup, in Win under
    Tools -> Account options, in Linux under Edit -> Account Options, there
    you choose the particular news account, and go to server settings.
    Somewhere on top of the window you should enter the login ID. TB will
    automatically ask for the password the moment you try to read a
    newsgroup. You can then check the option to have it remember your password.

    HTH, H.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    Interesting websites:
    www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
    www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
    aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare

    Hendrik Maryns, Aug 23, 2005

  3. No, In the Windows version there is no way I can see to enter the
    login/password. It is no where in Tools | Options. The news server I
    want to use has public and private groups and it doesn't pick up the
    private groups just the public ones. I tried adding the account again
    and there was no where to enter the login/password.

    Mike the Canadian, Aug 24, 2005
  4. Mike the Canadian

    Old Gringo Guest

    Account settings for your news accounts is where it is all at.

    Old Gringo, Aug 24, 2005
  5. No, there is nothing at all I can see in Account Settings regarding the
    news server login/password. I click on the news account choose View
    settings for this account. You'd guess it would be in Server Settings
    but I checked every other section. I am using v1.06 on Windows are you?

    Mike the Canadian, Aug 24, 2005
  6. Mike the Canadian

    Steve IA Guest

    Try this.
    After you've added the news account (without the ID or password), select
    the server from the folder last, right click ==> Subscribe. A pop up box
    will ask for your ID which you've previously registered with the server.
    Enter that and tick "Password Manager to remember..."
    Good luck.
    Steve
    41N

    Steve IA, Aug 24, 2005
  7. Mike the Canadian

    Old Gringo Guest

    When you set up the account check the user name and password tick box
    then enter your user name, when you then login to the account it will
    ask for the password. enter password and check the tick for using
    password manager.

    Old Gringo, Aug 24, 2005
  8. I have tried re-adding the news account and there is no user name and
    password tick box and no where to enter the user name. Have you tried
    this yourself? Note that I am talking about Newsgroup accounts not EMail
    accounts.

    Mike the Canadian, Aug 24, 2005
  9. Mike the Canadian

    dillinger Guest

    News accounts which require a login are supposed to pop up a username
    and a password prompt at first use, if this doesn't happen no login is
    required. If you are sure there are some private groups at the address
    you are using, you might try to connect with SSL, on port 563.

    Michel

    dillinger, Aug 24, 2005
  10. Well maybe that is the problem. This server does not _require_ a
    username and password to access the _public_ groups. However, you need
    the username and password to access the _private_ groups. It looks like
    a bug. A case of the software trying to do more than it should.
    Connecting with SSL does not work either, it just times out on group
    refresh.

    Mike the Canadian, Aug 24, 2005
  11. Mike the Canadian

    fredflint

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    > News accounts which require a login are supposed to pop up a username
    > and a password prompt at first use, if this doesn't happen no login is
    > required. If you are sure there are some private groups at the address
    > you are using, you might try to connect with SSL, on port 563.[/color]

    Well maybe that is the problem. This server does not _require_ a
    username and password to access the _public_ groups. However, you need
    the username and password to access the _private_ groups. It looks like
    a bug. A case of the software trying to do more than it should.
    Connecting with SSL does not work either, it just times out on group
    refresh.

    ----

    I had a similar issue -could not see private newsgroups on a public news server -- was only able to see the public groups on the new server and no prompt to login was given.

    the solution was this advice: >> Did you try selecting Tools | Account Settings | account | Server Settings | Server Settings | Always request authentication...

    after putting a tick mark on this option I was prompted to login and can see the private newsgroups

    fredflint, Jun 2, 2011
  12. Mike the Canadian

    mrincredible

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I didn't notice the first time I put in a username.

    I had to go to Alt+T (Tools), Options, Security, Passwords, Saved Passwords and Remove the blank saved password I put in previously.

    Problem solved. But only after "Get Mail" a few times. Would have probably taken effect quicker if I just restarted Thunderbird.

    mrincredible, Oct 17, 2013