    Rocinante Guest

    Is there a way to reply above the quoted text automatically instead of the
    cursor appearing below the text?

    Rocinante, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Rocinante

    Rocinante Guest

    Never mind, I found it in account settings.

    Rocinante, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Yes, but please don't do it, it is so frustrating to get the answer
    above the statement or question it is supposed to have a relation to!
    And when/if you do please don't ever reply to any of my postings or
    possible mails. It's below as default for a reason.

    Erlend.

    Erlend Nilssen, Jan 18, 2005
  4. Rocinante

    Arne Guest

    You mean like this: :)

    A: Because it's annoying and makes no sense.
    Q: Why is top-posting bad?
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.

    Arne, Jan 18, 2005
  5. Rocinante

    Rocinante Guest

    I agree, bottom posting is the standard for Usenet, but top posting is the
    standard for personal, academic, and business emails.

    Rocinante, Jan 19, 2005
  6. Rocinante

    Tony Raven Guest

    Yes in Usenet but in business communications top posting has become the
    standard. I bottom post for Usenet, top post for business e-mails so
    the ability to switch does matter.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Jan 19, 2005
  7. I disagree. top posting is a bother wherever it comes. Including email.

    Erlend Nilssen, Jan 19, 2005
  8. Rocinante

    Arne Guest

    I disagree. Topposting is *common* in e-mail, but that does not make
    it a standard.

    --
    /Arne
    http://web.telia.com/~u97802964/

    If you owe the bank a million, you have a problem.
    If you owe the bank ten million, the bank has a problem! (Unknown)

    Arne, Jan 19, 2005
  9. Rocinante

    Tx2 Guest

    In my 'real world' business and personal experience, what the majority
    does, defines the 'standard', over time. I believe the phrase is "common
    and practised"?

    Like it or not, a very large % of users consider the M$ way of doing
    things as the "standard" - hit them with an RFC and they'll just look
    dumb at you.

    I too bottom post for Usenet, but always place replies above quoted text
    in email.

    Perhaps it is because email is more commonly one to one, and thus the
    person to whom you are replying is more aware of how the discussion has
    progressed, whereas on Usenet, following a conversation is easier when
    replies are (correctly) placed underneath?

    Nonetheless, that's how I (and most of my correspondents) do things, so
    I have no current intention of changing my 'standards' at this time.

    Tx2, Jan 19, 2005
  10. Rocinante

    Rocinante Guest

    Let me clarify. I have to follow written guidelines that explicitly
    state to top post in my academic and business emails. Perhaps this is
    to save scrolling time for professors and executives. The personal
    email standard can be argued, but I have never sent, nor received, a
    bottom posted email to anyone.

    Rocinante, Jan 19, 2005
  11. Rocinante

    sreed

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Top Posting Defended

    It's one thing when one is reading something all at once, then top to bottom makes sense.

    sreed, Aug 28, 2008
  12. Rocinante

    sreed

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    But when one has read something already and wants to read the next thing, it's a lot easier if the next thing starts at the top, since one knows what is underneath without having to read it unless one forgets.

    sreed, Aug 28, 2008
  13. Rocinante

    newuser

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Instead of advertising the size of your ePeen by talking about usenet, it would be nice if you people would just answer the question:

    Edit > Account Settings > (the account) > Composition & Addressing > (drop-down list: ) "start my reply XXXX the quote"

    (Thunderbird 17.0.2)

    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    newuser, Feb 24, 2013