    with binaries? Can't find it.

    TIA
    Tim W

    Tim W, Nov 21, 2011

  2. Tim W

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Shift+K

    Thunderbird's message list won't update immediately - it will update
    when you switch away from the group and switch back.

    There isn't one. :-(

    Except for this: http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz_combine.php

    Ralph Fox, Nov 22, 2011

  3. Tim W

    Ralph Fox Guest

    If we put the jokes aside and get serious, k is _not_ a substitute for shift+K

    If a troll posts a reply to another post, k will kill the original post
    as well as the troll.

    Ralph Fox, Nov 22, 2011
  4. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    My MESSAGE menu gives k as ignore thread and shft+k as ignore
    subthread which is, yes the same thing I think.

    There doesn't seem to be any killfile as such so you use message
    'filters' afaict - create filter from message.... yes?

    Also missing and no substitute found yet is 'get the next 300 headers'
    Where does that command lurk?

    Much obliged in advance

    Tim w

    Tim W, Nov 25, 2011
  5. Tim W

    Ralph Fox Guest

    "Ignore thread" and "Ignore subthread" are not the same thing.

    For example, if a troll posts a reply to your own message
    • "Ignore thread" on the troll's message -- will also ignore your
    own message;
    • "Ignore subthread" on the troll's message -- will NOT also ignore
    your own message (your message is not in the troll's subthread).

    The killfile is at "Tools >> Message Filters"

    You can create:
    • filters which apply all groups on a single news server,
    • filters which apply to a single group on a single news server.

    However, you cannot create filters which apply to more than one news
    server. You have to create a separate filter for each news server.

    On the "File" pull-down menu - 7th from the top.
    "Get next 500 News Messages"

    The 500 is configurable at

    Tools >> Account Settings >> (*news server account*) >> Server Settings
    [x] Ask me before downloading more than [ xxx ] messages

    HTH

    Ralph Fox, Nov 25, 2011
  6. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    Usenet is in such a sorry state that none of the groups I subscribe to
    had 500 headers on the server, so the command was greyed out. that was
    why I hadn't seen it. Oh well. All my hobbies are beginning to look like
    the obscure interests of an eccentric old man. Maybe I should watch
    telly more.

    Tim W

    Tim W, Nov 26, 2011
  7. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    Exactly. I wasn't contradicting you, I meant "Ignore thread" and "Ignore
    subthread" is the same as what Ralph said previously, not that they both
    mean the same thing.

    Tim W

    Tim W, Nov 30, 2011